What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deleting E Mail mail box

Bloggyman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Forgive me if this has been covered previously,I hope it hasn't!

I have a problem on my iPad 1. And my iPhone.

From day one,An old google mail account has been imported ( for want of a better phrase) onto my iPad,and when I look at the "all mail" box there are some 3000 e mails. I cannot delete these!

I have actually found the old Google E mail account on my laptop and have manually deleted all e mails,and then deleted the mail account. However ,the Google mail, account still appears on my iPad.

I believe ( but I may be wrong) that these old e mails are on a server and not on my iPad.

I can go into settings,mail then my account, by going into Advanced I can go into Mailbox behaviours and select mailboxes to delete. However,All this appears to do is to hide them from the Mailbox screen,because after switching off and powering up,they reappear again.

Does anybody know how to get rid of these "unwanted" mailboxes permanently?

I am at my wit's end,because they are also appearing my iPhone 3G!

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you not go into settings/ mail/ then select the account you want it should say delete? If its happening on your phone too, check the cloud syncing if your synching emails it may be the cause to it returning. Then delete off both devices with the way I've said before. Did you want to remove the account completely?

OP
B

Bloggyman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for reply. Weirdly,Gmail does not show as being an account on either my iPhone or iPad so unfortunately I cannot delete through the normal means!
I've searched Forums for the answer but to date have failed miserably!

mollysmom

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I know, Bloggy what you mean-- that all mail thing is driving me crazy as well. I still have t figured out how to get rid of all mail and just keep the settings I want.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
B

Bloggyman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You're right mollymom! So exasperating! It can't be a syncing issue because I've never synced mail (not that I know of) in the first place! I've actually accessed my G Mail account and deleted every reference that I can find to E Mail,yet STILL when I go to the "google mail " mail box,I still see new mail being added to the total count! WHY,WHY.WHY?

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok let's see if we can solve it by screenshots, here's how I remove my gmail account, perhaps after this if it's not solved you can send your screenshots and we will see what we can do to help?
1) go to settings app, scroll down to I cloud ensure mail sync is not on. If its set to your default account try and change that first just incase see pics below
2) turn fetch new data off, if you don't need it, then select the email account in question. You should come to a screen as shown below giving you the option to delete do you have this? You can toggle archive messages here (which archives the email when on or deletes the email from the mail app when off) This is where you need to go on both devices, also check your pc to see if it's synced in with iTunes. I'm hoping this helps, send some screenshots back with what your seeing and il try and help. I used a free app called draw free to blank my personal data from the pics manually.

I don't know if you have more than one email account or if you want it deleted completely. If your getting lots of spam sign into google through your web browser and although a long process, but you can select emails and add to a spam filter or go through them and many have an option to be removed from database. Then it's just a case of deleting all emails from there, then they should not come back, and in time you can keep that email address without losing it to spam.
Let me know how you get on.

Attachments

• image-4128020631.jpg
    image-4128020631.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 430
  • image-2163339133.jpg
    image-2163339133.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 460
  • image-4271603384.jpg
    image-4271603384.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 425
  • image-292571447.jpg
    image-292571447.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 418
  • image-3636306614.jpg
    image-3636306614.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 438
Last edited:

mollysmom

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, I think shutting off that pushing data from the server was my issue.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
B

Bloggyman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks ever so much for taking the time and trouble to go through all you have in the attached note! I can see what you are suggesting ,the problem that I have is that I cannot see the Google mail account to delete it! It just doesn't appear on my iPad or iPhone.

The only screen that shows any reference to Google mail is when I go into my E Mail (via white envelopE/blue sky) app,then into Mailboxes.

Then I see on my Mailbox screen

inbox
Drafts
Sent
Trash

Google mail
All mail
Bin
Drafts
Important
Sent mail
Spam
Starred

Deleted messages
Sent
Trash

At the moment there are 3240 messages in total on the All Mail file/folder!

As I said earlier,I can manually go into my "proper" account Via Advanced and "delete mailbox", but each deleted mailbox returns once I power the machine(s) off then back on again!

If I could see the Google mail account,I could delete it. But it's nowhere to be seen on either my Pad or I phone.

I'm not too clever at screen printing,though I could contact you separately via e mail.

Dave

OP
B

Bloggyman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Should I switch "fetch new data" to OFF anyway?

OP
B

Bloggyman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Problem has been sorted.
Gone into my E Mail account on laptop and have eventually deleted the old E mails. Mailboxes on iPhone and pad are now ok.

Many thanks or all your help.

Signed

Relieved from UK

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bloggyman said:
Thanks ever so much for taking the time and trouble to go through all you have in the attached note! I can see what you are suggesting ,the problem that I have is that I cannot see the Google mail account to delete it! It just doesn't appear on my iPad or iPhone.

The only screen that shows any reference to Google mail is when I go into my E Mail (via white envelopE/blue sky) app,then into Mailboxes.

Then I see on my Mailbox screen

inbox
Drafts
Sent
Trash

Google mail
All mail
Bin
Drafts
Important
Sent mail
Spam
Starred

Deleted messages
Sent
Trash

At the moment there are 3240 messages in total on the All Mail file/folder!

As I said earlier,I can manually go into my "proper" account Via Advanced and "delete mailbox", but each deleted mailbox returns once I power the machine(s) off then back on again!

If I could see the Google mail account,I could delete it. But it's nowhere to be seen on either my Pad or I phone.

I'm not too clever at screen printing,though I could contact you separately via e mail.

Dave

I understand, however that's very weird indeed. Can you remember how it was set up in the first place? What you need to do is go to settings/ then go to mail, contacts, calendars/ then the first section is accounts. If you can do a screenshot that would be cool then I can see exactly what you see. ( simple to do, press the power off button on the top at the same time as the round home button at the bottom and the screen will flash white, this image is now in your camera roll, incredibly useful once mastered) then I would suggest downloading draw free in app store, this is like paint, to cover your personal details up easily just change the background to your camera roll and edit it then save( it's a lot easier than I'm describing :)
That way you can post it here without anyone stealing your details, you could email me but to be safe you should really blank them out even if sending it to me.
I would turn off fetch new data but it will still do it when you open the email app, you can also change how many messages you can see. Let me know if you want to do a screenshot to sort the issue out.

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bloggyman said:
Problem has been sorted.
Gone into my E Mail account on laptop and have eventually deleted the old E mails. Mailboxes on iPhone and pad are now ok.

Many thanks or all your help.

Signed

Relieved from UK

Cool! Make sure you regularly opt out of these emails usually at the bottom of each one, and on the pc browser mark it to spam to save them coming back. Glad you sorted out though, I can't understand why it's not in the settings, mail, account section though?? Let us know if you get any other problems.

tonytk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bloggyman said:
Forgive me if this has been covered previously,I hope it hasn't!

I have a problem on my iPad 1. And my iPhone.

From day one,An old google mail account has been imported ( for want of a better phrase) onto my iPad,and when I look at the "all mail" box there are some 3000 e mails. I cannot delete these!

I have actually found the old Google E mail account on my laptop and have manually deleted all e mails,and then deleted the mail account. However ,the Google mail, account still appears on my iPad.

I believe ( but I may be wrong) that these old e mails are on a server and not on my iPad.

I can go into settings,mail then my account, by going into Advanced I can go into Mailbox behaviours and select mailboxes to delete. However,All this appears to do is to hide them from the Mailbox screen,because after switching off and powering up,they reappear again.

Does anybody know how to get rid of these "unwanted" mailboxes permanently?

I am at my wit's end,because they are also appearing my iPhone 3G!

Hi Bloggyman - you seem to know your stuff here - I've just been bought an ipad 3 by my wife, now I'm not used to Mac and its taken me a while to work out what's etc etc - The problem I have is that all my mail keeps dissapearing ??? it'll stay in the inbox for a while and then it just goes ??? where does it go ?? how can I retreive it ??

Cheers
Tony

OP
B

Bloggyman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tony, E Mail is a pain when things appear to go wrong. I'm learning all the time and am really no expert.Im sure the guys on here (who are brilliant) will sort your problem for you. First thing I'd do is to make a thorough search of these Forums just to make sure that " your problem" hasn't already been covered by other posters.there's every likelihood that it has!

Most reactions

Latest posts