What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

deleting ALL photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

cshaw92131

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Deleting numbered DCIM folders that show up My Computer when connected to desktop.

I can connect to desktop and delete photos, but I can't delete the empty numbered folders that show up within the DCIM folder. When I try, I get this message: Error deleting folder. (numbered folder) could not be deleted. The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected.

Any way to clean it up and delete?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, but you don't want to delete photos in any other place than in the Photos app on the iPad (unless you're removing them via iTunes cause that's how you put them on there).

Using the computer to delete folders or photos directly from within that DCIM folder may cause your camera app to become unstable. The iPad/camera app have software written to control that - interjecting a manual delete via the computer could mess it up.

Unfortunately, if your iPad is now acting erratically after you deleted those folders, I'm afraid you have messed up the camera app. As its a default app that you can't uninstall and reinstall, I'm afraid the only solution is to restore the iPad (put a new, fresh iOS on it). There is no other way to fix it.

Marilyn

cshaw92131

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Marilyn,
Thank you for the warning. My ipad is fine. I've had no problems, but good info to know.

The pictures I delete are usually taken while on vacation with a digital camera and transfered to my ipad for easy viewing. Once they are transferred to my desktop computer at home, I delete from my ipad.

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Oh, but you don't want to delete photos in any other place than in the Photos app on the iPad (unless you're removing them via iTunes cause that's how you put them on there).

Using the computer to delete folders or photos directly from within that DCIM folder may cause your camera app to become unstable. The iPad/camera app have software written to control that - interjecting a manual delete via the computer could mess it up.

Unfortunately, if your iPad is now acting erratically after you deleted those folders, I'm afraid you have messed up the camera app. As its a default app that you can't uninstall and reinstall, I'm afraid the only solution is to restore the iPad (put a new, fresh iOS on it). There is no other way to fix it.

Marilyn

Funny how this came up right now, I have just posted about this. I was trying to delete photos which I uploaded from my PC. I suppose that I did the upload from iTunes, or is there another way? It is a very confusing subject Marilyn. I wanted to delete a bunch and free up some room because I have just put ALL my photos on Box from my PC and iPad so don't need to have then on my iPad anymore.
Please see the thread I started, perhaps it should be moved to this one?

Hannahfully

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's probably because you have synced these photos using iTunes. So plug your iPad in iTunes and deselect these photos and sync again. They will then be gone

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This thread is from 2013 of which the OP and the participants have moved on.

With this-we will now close this thread. Thank you for your understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts