What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

deleting ALL photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

APH

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possible to delete ALL the images on my iPad? I would like to reorganize everything I have and find it difficult to do.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Plug it into your computer, then use Windows Explorer to find your iPad as a removable drive. You can then delete all of the photographs using Windows. Do not delete the DCIM folder itself or undesirable things could happen.

You can copy your photographs to your PC using this method too.

OP
A

APH

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, I'm on a Mac: is there a way to see the iPad as an extra drive with a Mac?

dondar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kevin, I unsynced all my photos and it left little gray jpg placeholders for all the missing images on my iPad that I can't get rid of. Any suggestions?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
dondar said:
Kevin, I unsynced all my photos and it left little gray jpg placeholders for all the missing images on my iPad that I can't get rid of. Any suggestions?

They should disappear when you do a reset. Close the photo app in the multitask bar first.

dondar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
They should disappear when you do a reset. Close the photo app in the multitask bar first.

How do you do a reset?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I may:

Fully Close the App: Double tap the Home button (or do a 4-finger swipe up) to reveal a row of icons in the multi-tasking bar. Press and hold an icon until they all start to wiggle and you see a red circle with a minus sign ("-") in the top left. Press the minus sign to fully close the app. Don't worry, it won't remove the app from your iPad, just from the iPad's resident memory.

Then...

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

If that doesn't help, try this last step...

Reset: Hold both the power and home buttons until the screen goes dark and the Apple logo then appears (the slide to unlock screen may or may not appear). Once the logo appears, release the buttons. After a time, your homescreen will appear. Please note that it may take some time for the Apple logo to appear or for your homescreen to appear (or both). This is normal. Eventually, the homescreen will appear.

Good luck and holler back if you need more - or to tell us it worked.

Marilyn

dondar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
If I may:

Fully Close the App: Double tap the Home button (or do a 4-finger swipe up) to reveal a row of icons in the multi-tasking bar. Press and hold an icon until they all start to wiggle and you see a red circle with a minus sign ("-") in the top left. Press the minus sign to fully close the app. Don't worry, it won't remove the app from your iPad, just from the iPad's resident memory.

Then...

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

If that doesn't help, try this last step...

Reset: Hold both the power and home buttons until the screen goes dark and the Apple logo then appears (the slide to unlock screen may or may not appear). Once the logo appears, release the buttons. After a time, your homescreen will appear. Please note that it may take some time for the Apple logo to appear or for your homescreen to appear (or both). This is normal. Eventually, the homescreen will appear.

Good luck and holler back if you need more - or to tell us it worked.

Marilyn

Did the hard reset...picture frames are still in Photos

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Let's try this from twerppoet.

Fire up iTunes on the PC. Turn off photo sync before connecting the iPad. Then connect and do a sync. The frames should be gone.

If they haven't, try deleting the DCIM folder. THAT should clear them because they'll have nowhere to hide. Next time you take a photo, the iPad should automatically recreate the DCIM folder.

dondar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
Let's try this from twerppoet.

Fire up iTunes on the PC. Turn off photo sync before connecting the iPad. Then connect and do a sync. The frames should be gone.

If they haven't, try deleting the DCIM folder. THAT should clear them because they'll have nowhere to hide. Next time you take a photo, the iPad should automatically recreate the DCIM folder.

Ok, I tried the DCIM delete and an error message came up saying either the device has stopped responding or has been disconnected.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm going to suggest a restore to factory settings followed by a restore from backup. Nothing untoward should be able to survive that.

Incidentally, sorry this process has been such a pain. The only reason I suggested it in the first place is that it has worked for me several times on both iPhone and iPad. It worked on photographs taken with the cameras and those downloaded and saved.

I won't, however be recommending this approach in future. It clearly doesn't work for everyone.

Last edited:

johnodd4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually if he has the option to sync photos turned on in itunes no matter what he does the ipad will just transfer them back i also recommend a factory restore but make sure when you connect your ipad for the first time after the restore to tell it not to restore from backup and do a clean set up yes you will have to relog back into your mail and everything else but they should be gone

dondar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, is the factory restore y'all are referring to the one in iTunes on the my iPad screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions