What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deleting a specific autocorrection

Screamjeanne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know lots of people have problems with autocorrect, but I like it(even with the problems) and don't want to turn it off. Is there a way to delete or override one specific correction? I read you could type a word 3 times in safari and it would be the "preference" word, but it didn't work. Every time I type my name for email Jeanrodie, I get Jew Rodie. Or kea Rodie I would like to delete these specific people and keep my autocorrect on. Thx for any help y'all could give.
Jew Rodie, no, Kea Rodie, no again,

Jean Rodie That's it!

Reaction score
There is indeed no way to delete one autocorrection.

But you could try this:
General->Settings->Reset->Reset Keyboard Dictionary

More of a brute-force approach, but it should clear that word, along with any other saved ones.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like it too and there's a *great* workaround suggested by one of our Members. Autocorrect doesn't include as spelling mistakes any contacts in your Contacts list in the iPad's Contacts app. So, with a name like mine, you need that. So, this member suggested **and it works** put all your 'strange' spellings into the Contacts app as spurious contacts.

So, for example, if you didn't want Autocorrect to keep correcting a technical or business term - let's say 'jkdflsldl' (!) then simply enter that into Contacts as a 'spurious' contact and it won't be corrected again!!

Great ideas are the simplest!!

Tim
Scotland

OP
S

Screamjeanne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well y'all I'll just have to live with it. I did both the suggestions and I'm still getting both annoyances. Kea Rodie (see):confused:

Screw Jeanne oh no! This just popped up when I typed screamjeanne.
I've Never had that problem:mad:

Reaction score
Ok, yes. The suggestions show up, because they are inbuilt into the dictionary, there is no way of deleting those. But if you keep entering your email, the dictionary will learn it.

Sadly there is no straightforward way to enter terms to the dictionary.

Stephen777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You could try resetting your keyboard dictionary, but this probably won't change much.

Most reactions