What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Delete photos

troutbeware

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried the search engine without success and also went through a couple of hundred existing threads without finding an answer.
According to the IPad guide to delete photos you use the edit button and delete a photo by using the "no entry" sign. When I touch the edit button it gives me 4 options for enhancements and there is a "no entry" sign but at an angle and it is to remove red eye.
I then tried to see whether I could make the photos wobble (as one does for apps) in every conceivable way without success.
Any suggestions how to delete a photo or album for an Ipad3?
Thanks. Paul

Semel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Go into your photos.Top right there is a box with an arrow inside.Select it,then select photos to delete

OP
T

troutbeware

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Semel said:
Go into your photos.Top right there is a box with an arrow inside.Select it,then select photos to delete

Thanks Semel for the hint but this does work for me. The top right box with an arrow inside does not show a delete but on mine shows "email photo, message, use as wallpaper, tweet, print and copy photo".
So still stuck! Paul

Semel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Go into your album.Then without selecting any photos,press the box with arrow in top right corner.Then select photos to delete

OP
T

troutbeware

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Semel,
I had tried that before but still no joy. The albums do not show any options in the top right corner apart from "edit" which only enables you to create a new album. If you open an album and do not select any photograph and touch "edit" it immediately reverts to a blue cancel. Then touch it again and it says edit again. Once you highlight a photo then the options are what I have already written in the thread above.
So still a mystery to me where I can find a delete button whether a single photo or an album.
The reason why I want to delete these photographs is that they are actually photo scans of documents and came onto the IPad when I was synchronising automatically. I wonder whether if I deleted the photos on my computer and then synchronised again whether they would delete themselves but I cannot believe that that would be the case.
Paul

Erwaso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go into your album.Then without selecting any photos,press the box with arrow in top right corner.Then select photos to delete

Share ,copy ,send to and cancel are the only options I see at the top. It seems we can't delete pictures sync'd from a computer.

Nfs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hopefully this works for me.. In this first image you see the arrow in the box in the top right hand corner, tap that and you you will see the second image (I am in 1 of my albums not my photo library)

e378957a.jpg

Now in this second Image you will get a few options in the top left corner.. In my image it says remove because I am in an album but if you are in your photo library it will say delete where it says remove in this image below.

bdbd7b88.jpg

Hope this helps and you understand

Nfs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sorry in advance for the size of the images!

OP
T

troutbeware

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nfs said:
Hopefully this works for me.. In this first image you see the arrow in the box in the top right hand corner, tap that and you you will see the second image (I am in 1 of my albums not my photo library)

Now in this second Image you will get a few options in the top left corner.. In my image it says remove because I am in an album but if you are in your photo library it will say delete where it says remove in this image below.

Hope this helps and you understand

NSF,
That is really helpful and yes I was going from albums. Now doing it from photos you are right that by tapping the arrow 3 options appear. Mine says share, copy and delete (not the remove yours says). I thought I had or should I say you had cracked it. Unfortunately while by tapping the photo and getting a tick II can share and copy but nothing happens with the delete button. It is there but not lit up in the same way as share or copy.
All my photos are from my computer rather than using the camera on the IPad. I know I had no difficulty removing photos that my wife had taken on her IPad with the installed camera.
I am going to delete them on my computer and see what happens.
Thanks. Paul

nonbon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NSF,
That is really helpful and yes I was going from albums. Now doing it from photos you are right that by tapping the arrow 3 options appear. Mine says share, copy and delete (not the remove yours says). I thought I had or should I say you had cracked it. Unfortunately while by tapping the photo and getting a tick II can share and copy but nothing happens with the delete button. It is there but not lit up in the same way as share or copy.
All my photos are from my computer rather than using the camera on the IPad. I know I had no difficulty removing photos that my wife had taken on her IPad with the installed camera.
Thanks. Paul

Yeah..me tooo have the same problem as yours.but i can delete the file when i connect the ipad to pc using iexplorer..from there i go to syncphoto file then i remove all the pic

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can only delete photos that are in the Camera Roll, or Imported Albums. Photos that were synced using iTunes can only be removed by changing the sync settings in iTunes (or contents of the synced folders), and syncing again.

The Remove option appears when you have added a photo to an album locally on the iPad. Since this only links the file to the album (the original picture stays in the Camera Roll), you are only removing the photo from that album. Not deleting it.

If you try to delete a photo from the Camera Roll that has been added to an album, you will receive a warning that you are going to delete that photo from all albums, as well as the Camera Roll.

The other icons (like Red Eye) appear when you are editing a photo. You can not delete the photo when in Edit mode, only cancel the edits, or save.

rwev

iPF Noob
Reaction score
troutbeware said:
Tried the search engine without success and also went through a couple of hundred existing threads without finding an answer.
According to the IPad guide to delete photos you use the edit button and delete a photo by using the "no entry" sign. When I touch the edit button it gives me 4 options for enhancements and there is a "no entry" sign but at an angle and it is to remove red eye.
I then tried to see whether I could make the photos wobble (as one does for apps) in every conceivable way without success.
Any suggestions how to delete a photo or album for an Ipad3?
Thanks. Paul

Hi Paul,
If you sync photos with iTunes you can only delete them from the computer using iTunes.
At least I think this is true. I do not ever sync photos using iTunes. I use an app called Transfer. It lets you go from computer to ipad or ipad to ipad, and you can delete the photos on the ipad itself. The same is true if you take photos with the ipad camera or import using the camera connection kit. I may be wrong but I think that you can delete these photos on the ipad. I found a great little trick the other day for photos. I wanted to delete more than one photo at a time. I found out that if you have a Mac
That the app preview will let you select and delete all or some selected photos. Much better than deleting one at a time. Hope that this helps you. I got an ipad3 for the new screen and had to figure out how to,transfer all my photos from my ipad2. Very frustrating and time consuming until I found out that I could use preview to do lots of thing with the ipad. Did not know about this. Sincerely Rick

OP
T

troutbeware

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks to all for the advice. I have finally made it and the photos I did not want are gone. The process was longer and more complicated than I thought. Although I synchronised a day after I had removed the photos from my computer they did not go away. However, by going into photos and selecting the folders I wanted on the iPad and then synchronising the offending photos went. But it did mean that the synchronising seemed to be downloading, maybe after removing, all the photo folders again as it took over 5 minutes of synchronising.
Thanks again. Paul

coolstuffs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I finally am able to confirm what is being discuss in this thread. To delete photos uploaded using Itunes, one must use Itunes to delete the folder. Thus all the photos goes with the deletion. Using your computer edit the photo folder to include only what you want. Then upload the folder using Itunes. It is somewhat complicated and I hope Apple will make it easier in the future.

Nfs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NSF,
Thanks. Paul

Hey no worries just trying to help out, hope you got sorted!

Most reactions

Latest posts