What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Delete Photos

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If the photos are synced from your computer you will have to uncheck their folders in iTunes so they won't sync to the iPad. If the photos were added to the iPad by copying from an Internet site, or via the camera, there should be an icon of a little trash can on the upper right side when you touch on the picture as if you were going to show the choice to go back to the camera roll. You can also select Edit when looking at the thumbnail icons of the pictures. Touch to select some of the pictures and touch the delete button on the top left.

Dagwood

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've noticed that when a photo is taken it appears in a number of places on the iPad. I had assumed that when one was deleted it would go from all the places it appeared in eg Camera Roll, My photo stream, Last imported, All Imported, Albums (hopefully there is no etc,etc). Unfortunately having deleted a couple this evening I see they don't go from all places
Conscious of the limited capacity of an iPad compared with a PC , mines a 16gb model, I wondered if there is any way one can stop them appearing in so many places to start with?
Dagwood

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When you take a photo it should only go two places.

The camera roll; always.

Photo Stream; if you have it enabled in Settings > iCloud > Photo Stream. Each of these places is separate, and you will need to delete photos from them separately.

The purpose of Photo Stream is to make the photos you take available on all your devices (and computer if setup that way). If you don't need or want that, turn it off on all the devices and computer. Photo Stream only keeps the last 30 days or 1000 pictures. I'm not sure which cuts off first, since I've never gone over either.

When you delete a picture from Photos Stream it should end up deleted on all devices. The computer should keep all photos unless you delete them there. Hold in mind that since the updating is happening over the internet, changes may be delayed by a slow connection or one or more devices being off line.

You may see copies of a photo in other places, but these are only copies.

If you create an album in Photos on the iPad (as opposed to syncing through iTunes) the album consists of nothing but links to the original photo. Deleting it there deletes it everywhere. That will not affect a photo in Photo Stream, since it is not a link, but a completely different copy being synced from iCloud.

The All Photos tab is that. Every photo, whether in album, camera roll, or Photo Stream. It's not a copy or a link, just another way of viewing the photos.

I hope this helps.

Most reactions

Latest posts