What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Delete folder in mail

joybubble55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't delete the folders that I created in my mail.... Can anyone help me?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are talking about deleting folders while on the iPad - that can't be done. You'll have do do e-mail account management on the web. The iPad is just a "mirror" of what's available to see. That's why you can't change it. Sorry.

Marilyn

Kent Pietsch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are talking about deleting folders while on the iPad - that can't be done. You'll have do do e-mail account management on the web. The iPad is just a "mirror" of what's available to see. That's why you can't change it. Sorry.

Marilyn
Can you confirm my understanding that I cannot do an email account management on an Apple ME account. If i'm wrong then I certainly don't understand "email account management on the web." Thanks in advance. Kent

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, you should be able to delete folders in IMAP accounts, Including the Apple iCloud account, but for some reason Mail just crashes out when you try to do it. At least it does for me.

Maybe it will work for you.

Tap the Mailbox button at the top of the email list until you see the list if Inboxes and Accounts. Tap the account you want, and drill down to the folder you want to delete (if necessary). Tap the Edit button at the top right, then tap the folder you want to delete. You should get optins to change the Mailibox's location and/or delete it.

This is the point where it crashes out of Mail for me.

That said, you can go to icloud.com on a computer browser and sign into your iCloud account there for some extra account management features; including deleting unwanted email folders. If you don't have a computer available you can try using Safari on the iPad.

When you get to the site it won't let you log in, so tap on the the URL field to get the Favorites, pull down on the list and you will see Request Desktop Site. You can then use the site normally. However, the icloud.com site is not designed for a mobile/touch browser. Some of the features may not work, or work erratically. I haven't tested whether you can delete folders this way.

Most other email accounts have equivalent sites that you can use to manage your email folders.

Good luck.

Kent Pietsch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, you should be able to delete folders in IMAP accounts, Including the Apple iCloud account, but for some reason Mail just crashes out when you try to do it. At least it does for me.

Maybe it will work for you.

Tap the Mailbox button at the top of the email list until you see the list if Inboxes and Accounts. Tap the account you want, and drill down to the folder you want to delete (if necessary). Tap the Edit button at the top right, then tap the folder you want to delete. You should get optins to change the Mailibox's location and/or delete it.

This is the point where it crashes out of Mail for me.

That said, you can go to icloud.com on a computer browser and sign into your iCloud account there for some extra account management features; including deleting unwanted email folders. If you don't have a computer available you can try using Safari on the iPad.

When you get to the site it won't let you log in, so tap on the the URL field to get the Favorites, pull down on the list and you will see Request Desktop Site. You can then use the site normally. However, the icloud.com site is not designed for a mobile/touch browser. Some of the features may not work, or work erratically. I haven't tested whether you can delete folders this way.

Most other email accounts have equivalent sites that you can use to manage your email folders.

Good luck.
Thank you Twerppoet. Your advice was useful. My iOS8.1.2 opsys crashed out too. No joy that way. Moved to iMac and followed your instructions. Didn't locate the Request Desktop Site, but did discover clicking on the gear at the bottom left gave me access to a command for DELETE FOLDER. So, success in the end. Wouldn't have achieved the desired result without you. Thanks again!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just a short note:

You'll find "Request Desktop Site" in Safari on your iPad:
image.jpg

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you Twerppoet. Your advice was useful. My iOS8.1.2 opsys crashed out too. No joy that way. Moved to iMac and followed your instructions. Didn't locate the Request Desktop Site, but did discover clicking on the gear at the bottom left gave me access to a command for DELETE FOLDER. So, success in the end. Wouldn't have achieved the desired result without you. Thanks again!

No problem.

As Johanna showed, the Request Desktop Site is in the iOS version of Safari. You don't need it on the iMac, because it always gets the desktop site (unless do crazy things to convince the website that your iMac is a mobile device).

Most reactions

Latest posts