What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Delete emails

VicDavies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have only just discovered this site and it is nice to know that there is a site designed with iPad users in mind.

I would like to know whether it is possible on the ipad2 to permanently delete emails. Although I regularly clear the Spam folder and then the Trash folder, the same emails seem to reappear in the "All Mail" box which currently storing over
15000 emails. Is this taking up valuable space?

Any advice would be welcome.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You could very well have your e-mail account set up to "Archive" mail versus deleting it.

To fix, check in the "Mail, Contacts, Calendar" tab in your Settings app. Look on the right-hand side for the e-mail account doing this; press that e-mail's line. Hopefully, the next tab that appears should have a place where you can turn the option to Archive mail to OFF.

Once Archive is off, your mail should delete and not show again.

Marilyn

OP
V

VicDavies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
You could very well have your e-mail account set up to "Archive" mail versus deleting it.

To fix, check in the "Mail, Contacts, Calendar" tab in your Settings app. Look on the right-hand side for the e-mail account doing this; press that e-mail's line. Hopefully, the next tab that appears should have a place where you can turn the option to Archive mail to OFF.

Once Archive is off, your mail should delete and not show again.

Marilyn

Many thanks for your advice. I could not bring up an "Archive" box but following your advice I managed to get to "Advanced" settings which appears to give me four options when deciding to keep emails. These are "Never, one day, one week or one month". I have reset it to " one week " so hopefully that will do the trick.

Many thanks for guiding me along the right lines

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Vic and welcome to the Forum!

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Tutorial on creating posts on the Forum
http://www.ipadforums.net/new-membe...-creating-posts-starting-new-threads-how.html
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
3 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help...shortcuts-helpful-places-people-new-ipad.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

OP
V

VicDavies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
VicDavies said:
Many thanks for your advice. I could not bring up an "Archive" box but following your advice I managed to get to "Advanced" settings which appears to give me four options when deciding to keep emails. These are "Never, one day, one week or one month". I have reset it to " one week " so hopefully that will do the trick.

Many thanks for guiding me along the right lines

Oops, I spoke too soon. By tampering with the email settings I now have two "Trash Boxes" and no " All Mail" box.. Over 15000 emails are in both " Trash " boxes and although after pressing the "Delete All" button they disappear, they are all back within minutes.

Is there no way to delete emails PERMANENTLY from my ipad2 ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Vic

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
VicDavies said:
Oops, I spoke too soon. By tampering with the email settings I now have two "Trash Boxes" and no " All Mail" box.. Over 15000 emails are in both " Trash " boxes and although after pressing the "Delete All" button they disappear, they are all back within minutes.

Is there no way to delete emails PERMANENTLY from my ipad2 ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Vic

I've moved your thread to our Help Section where you will receive a better response.

OP
V

VicDavies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
What type of account do you have? Both the provider and the type of account (IMAP, POP, EXCHANGE) if you know it.

Account is IMAP4 blueyonder.co.uk. Is this what you need to solve my problem?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Account is IMAP4 blueyonder.co.uk. Is this what you need to solve my problem?

Actually I was kind of hoping you'd tell me it was a GMail or iCloud account, in which case I'd have a 'fair' idea of what 'might' solve it.

As it is, all I can suggest is that you take a close look at your mail settings at the blueyouder site. It is possible that the email is getting archived automatically by the server, not that iPad.

GMail did this to me for a while. Actually I'm not certain it isn't still doing it. Once I figured out that it was only taking up space on the server, and that GMail wasn't going to run out of space there, I stopped worrying about it; Gmail not being my primary account there's little there that I need to worry about.

P.S.

Meh, a quick check shows that GMail is indeed still saving all my email's in the All Inbox. I may tinker with it later and see if I can stop it. Not that this will help with your problem. :eek:

Last edited:
OP
V

VicDavies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Actually I was kind of hoping you'd tell me it was a GMail or iCloud account, in which case I'd have a 'fair' idea of what 'might' solve it.

As it is, all I can suggest is that you take a close look at your mail settings at the blueyouder site. It is possible that the email is getting archived automatically by the server, not that iPad.

GMail did this to me for a while. Actually I'm not certain it isn't still doing it. Once I figured out that it was only taking up space on the server, and that GMail wasn't going to run out of space there, I stopped worrying about it; Gmail not being my primary account there's little there that I need to worry about.

P.S.

Meh, a quick check shows that GMail is indeed still saving all my email's in the All Inbox. I may tinker with it later and see if I can stop it. Not that this will help with your problem. :eek:

I'm inclined to go along with you in that as the two "trash" boxes are on the server and the " All Mail" box has somehow disappeared altogether,to not worry about it.
However I am meeting a friend tomorrow who also has the iPad 2 and I will check his mail settings to see how they differ.
If I discover a solution I will get back to you. In the meantime, many thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

Vic

OP
V

VicDavies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
No problem.

I look forward to hearing what you find out.

The friend not much help. He forgot to bring his iPad.
However I seem to have solved the problem by going into " SETTINGS". "MAIL, CONTACTS" and going through to
" ADVANCED". I then set the BEHAVIOURS to. DRAFTS to.. DRAFTS on SERVER, SENT to. SENT on IPAD, DELETED to
ALL MAILon SERVER.

I then set the DELETED MESSAGES box from NEVER to REMOVE AFTER ONE DAY.

After doing this one of my two TRASH boxes was replaced by the SENT box.
I still do not have an " ALL MAIL" box but that was the point of this exercise. I no longer need it.

Signing off,

Vic

Most reactions

Latest posts