What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Delay in receiving new mail

Lpatrick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just recently our Air 2 has a delay in receiving new email. In fact, I have to open the mail app then wait for it to check for new mail. Previously if there was new mail it was indicated when the Pad was powered up. Is this normal or the sign of a certain condition and or problem? (using Safari with Yahoo mail, Push on, Fetching set to every 15 minutes)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendars - Fetch New Data, tap the email account and select "Push" if possible.
image.jpg

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are two places where you have to enable/checkmark Push.
It has to be enabled in Fetch New Data:
image.jpg

and in the account itself (the screenshot I posted before), to receive emails as soon as they're on the server.

OP
Lpatrick

Lpatrick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Both are and have been set to "Push". Could it be a Yahoo issue?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Possible.

Try removing the account from your device and setting it up again.

OP
Lpatrick

Lpatrick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Deleted and re-added Yahoo account. Ran tests by sending emails to myself. With email open receipt was immediate. With email closed the test email was not received until I opened the email app. Receipt was then immediate. Basically means new emails are not received until the email app is opened. I will next test my PC.

Kieran2001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Lpatrick,
Your emails are delayed because your email service provider may filter the email. Another possible reason for this is that the email is from a different country. if you use the built in email app you will have to open it to update it.
there's is nothing you can do to fix this sorry.

rasmith1959

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Another possibility is that background app refresh is turned off for the email app.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Latest posts