What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Decent Free Photoshop alternative

doublesixes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was wondering if you guys knew of a decent free Photoshop alternative for my iPad mini. Something like Gimpshop but for iOS. I will have to be away from my main desktop and laptop tools and was wondering if the iPad offered something comparable with layers and good selection tools. TIA

Last edited:

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Any image editing app on iOS is going to be limited compared to a desktop alternative due to hardware and platform limitations. However, I do know that Leonardo and Pixelmator are quite nice on iPads.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I was wondering if you guys knew of a decent free Photoshop alternative for my iPad mini. Something like Gimpshop but for iOS. I will have to be away from my main desktop and laptop tools and was wondering if the iPad offered something comparable with layers and good selection tools. TIA

Well, first do not expect to get a 'free' iOS app that has some of the more advanced features of Photoshop or Pixelmator on other operating systems, i.e. OS X or Windows - often the price of admission is five or ten bucks - thus, my first suggestion is to be willing to spend a little money.

Now, I was going to recommend Photoshop Touch which is on my iPad and duplicates some of the features of their non-iOS program, however, the app seems to have been discontinued by Adobe - see HERE - might have worked for you? I do have Pixelmator on my iMacs under OS X - this is a nice photo imaging program but have not used the iOS version - it's just $5 from the App store, so may give it a try? Let us know what you discover - will help others. Dave :)

Most reactions