Decent Free Photoshop alternative

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by doublesixes, Jun 15, 2015.

1. doublesixes

doublesixes
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I was wondering if you guys knew of a decent free Photoshop alternative for my iPad mini. Something like Gimpshop but for iOS. I will have to be away from my main desktop and laptop tools and was wondering if the iPad offered something comparable with layers and good selection tools. TIA

#1 doublesixes, Jun 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  2. ardchoille

ardchoille
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Any image editing app on iOS is going to be limited compared to a desktop alternative due to hardware and platform limitations. However, I do know that Leonardo and Pixelmator are quite nice on iPads.

3. doublesixes

doublesixes
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks ardchoille, I'll give them a run.

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Monger

Thanks Received:
    Well, first do not expect to get a 'free' iOS app that has some of the more advanced features of Photoshop or Pixelmator on other operating systems, i.e. OS X or Windows - often the price of admission is five or ten bucks - thus, my first suggestion is to be willing to spend a little money.

Now, I was going to recommend Photoshop Touch which is on my iPad and duplicates some of the features of their non-iOS program, however, the app seems to have been discontinued by Adobe - see HERE - might have worked for you? I do have Pixelmator on my iMacs under OS X - this is a nice photo imaging program but have not used the iOS version - it's just $5 from the App store, so may give it a try? Let us know what you discover - will help others. Dave :)