What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dealing with email

jfolliard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looking for some ideas on this, I guess nuisance. I have 4 devices, desktop, laptop, smartphone and an iPad2. All receive email from one account. I like it setup that way as no matter where I am or what device I'm on I can receive email.

Now here's the deal. I don't use the ipad much unless I'm traveling. Is there anyway to make it stop receivng email altogether then start all over again with messages going forward instead of d/ling past messages when I use it next?

I have it set to fetch "manually" with the "show" option at the lowest - 25 messages.

But it seems that manual really isn't that - when I go to Mail, it automatically downloads those 25 messages.

Second question - is there any app which allows us to "check all" when deleting pages of emails, instead of having to check them one at a time?

Thanks.

Jack

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Looking for some ideas on this, I guess nuisance. I have 4 devices, desktop, laptop, smartphone and an iPad2. All receive email from one account. I like it setup that way as no matter where I am or what device I'm on I can receive email.

Now here's the deal. I don't use the ipad much unless I'm traveling. Is there anyway to make it stop receivng email altogether then start all over again with messages going forward instead of d/ling past messages when I use it next?

I have it set to fetch "manually" with the "show" option at the lowest - 25 messages.

But it seems that manual really isn't that - when I go to Mail, it automatically downloads those 25 messages.

Second question - is there any app which allows us to "check all" when deleting pages of emails, instead of having to check them one at a time?

Thanks.

Jack

1) If you don't use the iPad very often for email, you could just delete the email account on the iPad, then add it again when you decide to travel.

2) Yes, when you start the app it automatically checks the server. It won't do it again unless you tape the update icon. What it mainly prevents is the iPad checking for mail until you open it. I'd guess the assumption is that if you open Mail, you want to look at it.

3) The closest thing to check all is to hit the Edit button and select each email. There is no select all. You can work around this (if your website email works with Safari) by visiting the web site email and using the select all delete function there. This will not remove emails downloaded on the iPad if your account is POP, but if you do it before you open Mail (since you settings are on Manual) it will not download them to begin with.

The best solution for all your problems (except 3) is to find out if your email provider has IMAP or Exchange servers and how you need to set up for them. This leaves all email on the server, each device automatically updating to reflect what is there. At that point things become much easier to manage on multiple devices.

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
You don't actually have to delete the account, you can just switch mail syncing for that account off in settings. Saves you having to remember the setup details when you want it back.

At least for. Imap and exchange accounts you can, I haven't a pop account setup so don't know if you can switch that off.

Confucious

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
blog.iphone-dev.org
There is an app to delete all mail - but you do have to be JailBroken to use it. Just one of the many useful tweaks available on cydia.

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You don't actually have to delete the account, you can just switch mail syncing for that account off in settings.

That's what I do.
I have two email accounts running on my iPad and three more that are set up but not active. If I want to check them for any reason I just turn them on, check them then turn them off again.

adampaik

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have 3 email accounts on my iPad and for some reason I can only view one of them. When I Tap the mail icon, the tab no longer reads "mailboxes" it reads "inbox." can anyone tell me what happened and how to fix this? Thanks!

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
adampaik said:
I have 3 email accounts on my iPad and for some reason I can only view one of them. When I Tap the mail icon, the tab no longer reads "mailboxes" it reads "inbox." can anyone tell me what happened and how to fix this? Thanks!

Touch the name at the top left and the left side will move to show all boxes.

adampaik

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Czevski said:

The only thing that happens when I touch the " inbox" name the drop down box of all the emails shows up. No option to view other accounts. Sorry, I'm not exactly tech savvy.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Czevski said:

The only thing that happens when I touch the " inbox" name the drop down box of all the emails shows up. No option to view other accounts. Sorry, I'm not exactly tech savvy.

Ah, you're looking at your email in portrait mode I suspect. In that case, after the list of emails shows up, there will be another button at the top left of the list. It will probably say something like MailBoxes. Tap it to see a list of your Inboxes and accounts.

When viewing your email in landscape the email list is already visible, so the the Mailboxes button is visible on the main screen. This is what Czevski was describing.

When you are viewing your mailbox folders you'll see two lists. The top list is your inboxes. You can choose the inboxes for individual accounts, or the All Inboxes folder. This is the one you normally want to use when you have multiple accounts and want to see all you new email.

The bottom list is for the accounts themselves. When you choose one of these you go the the list of folders for that account. You are most likely to use this when you need to look at email in your Trash, Sent, or other folders on the server.

Most reactions

Latest posts