1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Dead ipad?

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by trish63, May 29, 2013.

1. trish63

trish63 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi All - just found this helpful place and wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions for me....

The other day my Apple 4G (purchased March 2012) 'blew up' as I was surfing Safari (amazon.com specifically) I was attempting to zoom into an image on the screen. It would not open back up, instead it gave me the connect to iTunes image.

I did and it told me that my iPad needed to be restored. After many many attempts to perform this restore, I had no luck (different error codes such as 1603 & 1604). I finally decided to take it to the local Apple Store Genius Bar for help. They tried to perform a restore as well. (I had been told they had a way to do it that was 'better' than doing it at home) It also did not work.

I was told that it was a firmware problem and the only thing to do would be to replace my iPad. :( They will replace if for me for $299 with a 3 month warranty but no options for extended warranty. I asked how often this type of thing occurs (how often they see it) I was told maybe 1 in 500 but oddly enough both "Genius'" I talked to said their own had done the same thing. Well that was 2 out of 2!

Really? This is my ONLY option? They give me 5 days to make up my mind before this 'offer' is no longer valid.

I'm hoping that someone somewhere can help me with a better option?

Thanks!
  2. scifan57

scifan57 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,037 / 1
    What they quoted to you is their normal replacement cost for an out of warranty replacement. If you pay the $299.00 you will get a refurbished iPad that's just as good as new, with a 90 day warranty. I don't think you'll find a better deal elsewhere.
  3. trish63

trish63 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Thanks for your reply..... I guess my question is why would I need to replace the whole thing? Isn't there a fix for this somewhere? I object to just pitching it and not being able to fix it I guess...
  4. scifan57

scifan57 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,037 / 1
    At the current time that's what Apple does. Your old iPad isn't pitched, you trade it in on the refurbished model, with the payment of the $299.00 fee. Your old iPad is sent back to the factory to be turned into a refurbished model to be used as a replacement for someone else.