What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dead iPad - anything left to do before getting the shovel and ordering the tombstone?

howmanyds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Three weeks ago my iPad 2 started going into DFU mode every time it fell asleep. I could get it out with a forced reset using the home and power buttons for a few seconds. After a week though, this forced reset worked less and less. I tried restoring to the backup -- no luck. I tried restoring to new. This is when restoring stopped working. While plugged in, iTunes would say, "Waiting for iPad" indefinitely and never finish the update. I tried different macs, reinstalling iTunes, different cables, and option-restoring from a saved update on my desktop. Nothing can make this thing restore.
Today I tried the Genius Bar and they couldn't get any further than I and declared the iPad dead. An out of warranty replacement is $250 which seems high for something I paid $700 (or was it $800?) just two years ago and have kept in pristine condition. I mean pristine. Even the genius guy commented on how good it looks.
So, is there anything else I can try? Any software to wipe the slate completely clean in a way iTunes doesn't seem to be able to?

Thanks.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You almost certainly have a hardware fault in your iPad. No amount of fiddling with it will get it going again. You have two choices, pay the repair fee and receive a refurbished iPad 2, or pay full price for a new iPad.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

I will move your post to our Hacking Section......our staff and members may be able to suggest something more that you could try before giving up completely on your iPad.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OP
H

howmanyds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. I had actually already tried everything in that post before taking it to the apple store.
At least I managed to grab a new one at Target last week when they were giving out $50 gift cards with the purchase.
Still a major bummer though.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. I had actually already tried everything in that post before taking it to the apple store.
At least I managed to grab a new one at Target last week when they were giving out $50 gift cards with the purchase.
Still a major bummer though.

That is a bummer.....I have an ipad2 and would be very upset if that happened to me!

Enjoy your new iPad!

And thank you for getting back to us with the news!

Most reactions

Latest posts