Dates For Pre-Order And Shipping?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by rserkes, Feb 17, 2010.

1. KiltedTim

KiltedTim
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I'm guessing the hardware is done. It's the software that's still being fine tuned. I'm not sure how Apple usually does it, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that there is a shipload of them un-boxed, just waiting to be flashed, boxed and shipped to the stores. I also wouldn't be shocked to see a firmware update within 48 hours of the time they go on sale just so they can make the ship date. The only thing that bothers me at all is the idea that, like the iPod Touch, OS upgrades will cost $$. There's no way to amortize the revenue out over time so they can give them away for free like on the iPhone, though I'm not sure why they couldn't release minor updates as with OS X at no charge.

2. iVan

iVan
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Agreed.

Now, all I hope is that printing is allowed... Please Apple!

3. rserkes

rserkes
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I just read on Mac News Network (2/20/10) that pre-orders for the WiFi version will start on 2/25/10. The 3G pre-orders will start a month later as the 3G unit will be shipping a month after the WiFi.

This is all rumor, of course.

4. IpadOne

IpadOne
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    I also read news like this with the 28/ feb , but frankly speaking i think is just speculation

5. Ellie

Ellie
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I notice the latest rumor is that preorders will start Feb. 25. I realize that may just be another rumor. I have never preordered anything so I want to know what advantage would be and how long does it generally take to get item you preorder.

6. iVan

iVan
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't preorder a car without trying a demo first. We spend more time with a computer than with a car. If you don't like it what can you do?

That was my rational half.

Where do I preorder? Me wanna, me wanna!!!:p

7. rserkes

rserkes
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    For other electronics, the advantage is to be put on an ordered waiting list. When the item is ready to ship it goes out to people in order on the list. If there are too few units for everyone then it's first come, first served. Otherwise you might have to wait for more units to be manufactured. I can't tell you that this is Apple's policy but it's the policy of many other electronics companies.

I'm going to be on the pre-order list. If I don't like the iPad (not much chance of that!) then I'll return it.

8. Superbike81

Superbike81
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, the only advantage is if it sells out, you will already be allotted one by making the preorder.

I don't think it will be completely sold out, but that all depends on how many Apple produces. I'm pre-ordering mine just in case, because I would like to have it as early as possible for school.

9. Ellie

Ellie
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Cancelling preorder?

If I preorder with Apple can I cancel if for some reason I want to?:confused:

Also do I have to Make deposit?

#19 Ellie, Feb 22, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  10. iDan

iDan
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I kind of think Apple will only have a limited number at first so they purposely sell out. This would cause more hype in the media and in return get the iPad more attention.