What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Database Help

bsiewert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have moved from PC to iPad/iPhone, to complete about 90% of my construction business. My problem is a report I have to compile weekly, listing jobs, income, status, etc which is now in excel form. I can go back and forth over my VPN to import the spreadsheet, add new info and send it back to our corporate server, but the format invariably gets distorted, cells dont work, etc. My solution was to input all of the information into a database app, but so far I have only found one that will calculate totals and even at that it will only show totals for 1 of the 5 columns I really need to show the total for. Any suggestions to workaround this issue?

Kilgore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
More Info Please

Can you give us some more information? Does the data have to be sent as an Excel file? What database are you currently using? How is the data being mangled when you attempt to keep it in worksheet format? Are you using Numbers to work with the spreadsheet? etc.

I'm sure that FileMaker Go could perform any of the calculations that you need, but it might have a problem if you need the data as a certain file type.

OP
B

bsiewert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've tried Tapforms HD. for the database trial and I just got Numbers, I've been using Quickoffice.
it doesn't have to be in excel format as long as the columns are totaled correctly but csv file would be helpful in case non iPad users wanted to use or modify it.
does that info help?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Numbers should work fine. As long as you don't get too fancy it will export to .xls cleanly.

However you are stuck with emailing the file, unless you have a WebDAV server at your company. Then you can send it that way.

A combination of a DropBox and DropDAV account also works well for exporting. If your company will let you install DropBox on your work computer, you could export the files to DropBox and have them waiting on the computer when you get back to the office.

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have moved from PC to iPad/iPhone, to complete about 90% of my construction business.

No offense but iPad was not meant for business! It is a personal entertainment device. For business you better hang with a laptop (or at least a netbook) because iPad apps are no way comparable with commercial apps that are available for Windows/Mac.

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
bsiewert said:
I've tried Tapforms HD. for the database trial and I just got Numbers, I've been using Quickoffice.
it doesn't have to be in excel format as long as the columns are totaled correctly but csv file would be helpful in case non iPad users wanted to use or modify it.
does that info help?

have you looked at

http://www.bytesquared.com/products/spreadsheet/ipad/

Kilgore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No offense to you Mobi1, but I (and many enterprise customers) disagree with you. The iPad can be an excellant business tool. Ever try typing on a laptop while walking around a job site? It depends on what you're trying to do and where, but with the proper software, an iPad can much more than a personal entertainment device.

OP
B

bsiewert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thank you all for your suggestions and advice. I do still have a corp PC and netbook but the iPad has replaced them for 90% of my business and functions and apps improve every week except for this excel translate and reporting issue.

OP
B

bsiewert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kilgore.
Thank you. No I haven't tried it yet but I think I'll get filmmaker go this weekend. I'll contact next week. I think it's a great idea and I really appreciate it. Thank you
Sorry I couldn't reply to your pm unless I made a new one.

Most reactions

Latest posts