What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Data Usage a month

King.Khoja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys,
How much data do you guys find your using on a monthly basis? this question goes out to the hardcore users as well as the moderate users. Tell me what you guys are using it for too, im looking to get a data plan but dont know how much i should get a month, so I just want to get an idea.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 2GB plan here in the UK. Wifi at home, so data is for the daytime when I am at work (my iPad is a laptop replacement). On a light month I am approx 750MB used, on the heaviest month so far (last month) I was approx 1.5GB.
Usage is mostly documents, websites, email, files, etc. Very little music, video, etc. over 3G.

Pingles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was on the 250MB plan and was great for a few months... then a few months in a row I hit up some sites that had some animated GIFs and had to upgrade.

One of them I actually hit my limit less than one week in!

Now I am on the 2GB plan.

pphmmr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have 1,5GB plan on my samsung galaxy s and I use to use 1,2 GB per month. I can not imagine how many can I spend on my iPad2 ;)

OP
K

King.Khoja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok so im looking at a 1.5 GB or 2GB plan than. I have wifi at home and school but i want to be able to use the internet here and there when im on the go, f4780y said ill probaly be using a bit of video on youtube, but mostly just surfing the web and stuff. Right now i have a shared data plan on my cell and laptop, but the guy at rogers said i can use my sim from the laptop to ipad 2 to use the internet. Ill give that a try for a month and if that doesnt seem enough ill go for a gb more

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
do you know how to check how much you have used. I have verizon as my provider

'Settings', 'General', 'Usage' will give you the iPad's *net* data usage - i.e. the actual volume of user data that was sent and received.

However, the protocol used to transport these data over the 3G network places the user data in 'packets' to transmit them and so the network charges for *gross* data transported - i.e. user data plus 'packet' additional data. So you'll need to add something on to the net figure reported by the iPad - typically 25% would usually give you a safety margin. It's impossible to be precise because data are sent in large and small packets depending upon the application and the 'overhead' involved in doing this varies depending upon the size of the packet.

Tim

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've used about 16 GB in the past month on iPad 2 and probably at least as much on iPad 1. I'm mostly on wi-fi at home, but I use 3G heavily while away from home. I'm on an unlimited 3G plan.

Blueface

iPF Noob
Reaction score
2G
Used only 546MB but worked out as went over the 250MB plan.
Will stick with this a while as this was my first month.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Almost nil as I use wifi most of the time

however have 3G available for when I am traveling. Also have set up a wifi hotspot on my iPhone4 so am covered three ways.

OP
K

King.Khoja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I got my self the sim for the iPad 2 and have been using it for about 20 days now, started it at the beginning of the month. Ive found that im actually doing pretty good for 1 gb shared data. My blackberry barely uses any data. I just checked how much ive used between the 2 units and its says ive used only 565MB. Ive used about an hours of youtube and using just basic sites and this forum. Not bad, glad I didnt upgrade to a higher plan

Most reactions

Latest posts