Data Plan Question.

Discussion in 'iPad Carriers' started by NLAlston, Feb 17, 2011.

1. NLAlston

NLAlston
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I am soon to come into possession of my very first electronic tablet - a IPad with WiFi/3G capabilities. My decision to go with the dual option was because of reading that an unlimited data plan for it would be $30/mo through AT&T. I then (after having the order submitted) happened across some information stating that (as of June 7, 2010) the unlimited data plan would not be available to newcomers. In its place would be a 2GB plan, at $25/mo.

I don't know as to what would constitute the biggest 'bite' from that, and hope that I can get some ideas here (my internet activity, for the greater part, would be just for surfing & emailing). The dual usage models are $160 more than than the WiFi only units, and I don't want to find that I might have to shell out $50 (or more) per month, because of exceeding the 2GB limit. If that were to indeed be the likely scenario, I will send the unit back - unopened - for a singular (WiFi only) model.

2. SBHOKC

SBHOKC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    The question will be how much of the time will you use it with a wifi source as opposed to needing cellular? I only pay for the 3G when I know I am going to be traveling. Last year it was only 2 months. The rest of the time this is a wifi only iPad.

3. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    It won't let you exceed the limit. When you reach the limit it will stop working until you purchase more data or the plan auto-renews at the end of 30 days cycle.

Apple iPad with Wi-Fi + 3G - AT&T iPad Plans - Wireless from AT&T

4. pricej636

pricej636
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    If you can afford the 3G model then go for it. For me its nice to know I can just pay for the month and have data on the ipad when I travel or just need to flexibility of not being on wifi. I certainly dont pay for it every month.

5. NLAlston

NLAlston
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    thanks everyone. I appreciate your input.

6. Yellow109r

Yellow109r
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    So does it automatically renew and u have to cancel it or each month u have to renew it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. SBHOKC

SBHOKC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    You have to cancel it.

8. Bouvmom

Bouvmom
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    What if it won't renew?

9. ipaduser434

ipaduser434
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    One option is to call AT&T and find out if the problem is on their end. Better yet, if there's an AT&T store near you, stop by, explain the problem and they can check the status of your account.

I recently purchased the postpaid plan and the folks at my local AT&T store told me they could easily handle any changes I'd like to make. Much better than hanging on the phone for hours waiting for "customer service."

10. Bouvmom

Bouvmom
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I ended up calling the apple help line....you can have them call you back immediately, and they were wonderful. They called me back right away and when what they suggested didn't work, they connected me immediately with ATT help line and they walked me through to resolution.