What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Data erasing

Willbr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there data erasing software to wipe your iPad before selling it? Yes I know about "erase all content and settings" but everything I read says this is not a true deletion of files.
Thanks
Will

Last edited:
OP
W

Willbr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you properly reset your iPad and remove your iCloud account,you have nothing to worry about. If what you mentioned above were true and easy then why did the fbi spend millions to hack an iPhone 5c?
If you properly reset your iPad and remove your iCloud account,you have nothing to worry about. If what you mentioned above were true and easy then why did the fbi spend millions to hack an iPhone 5c?

You did not answer my question whether there is software for cleaning ipads. I dont understand why people post when they have nothing to say that addresses the question.
The FBI paid millions to hack a phone they did not have the password to. This is not the same as selling your ipad to someone where you give them access. Many times during this story the media brought up the fact that the data is not erased, only the encryption key is deleted making it difficult to decrypt the files.

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The answer is no, there is not software for "cleaning" iPads. The point I was trying to make is as long as you properly reset your iPad properly and remove your accounts you'll be fine when selling.

If you are that concerned about someone getting your data, don't sell it. Put it in a bucket of cement and and bury it in your backyard. It should be safe there for the foreseeable future.

OP
W

Willbr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow! did not mean to traumatize you. Hopefully there is a nearby safe space for you to curl up in and calm down.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Is there data erasing software to wipe your iPad before selling it? Yes I know about "erase all content and settings" but everything I read says this is not a true deletion of files.
You did not answer my question whether there is software for cleaning ipads. I dont understand why people post when they have nothing to say that addresses the question............
Wow! did not mean to traumatize you. Hopefully there is a nearby safe space for you to curl up in and calm down.

Hello Will - welcome to the forum! :) As a 'newbie', you are unlikely to make many friends here w/ some of your statements quoted above, particularly in apparently chastising one of our well respected members - common courtesy and respective language will go a long ways in this forum.

As to your original question, I agree completely w/ Brian - Apple's guidelines are clear in their KB article HERE - I've sold two iPads through Glyde and have simply followed those guidelines w/o a problem. Also, regarding the first quote above about "but everything I read says this is not a true...." - can you provide some links to enlighten us, and please do not simply state that deleting files on a 'disc' simply removes their 'pointers' and not the actually files (most of us know this already) - looking forward to being educated. Thanks - Dave

Most reactions

Latest posts