What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Data deleted from iwork NUMBERS, how to recover ?

Shihid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
, I just re installed numbers , last numbers I had 22mb of intranet office files , I was checking for options in settings (main settings of iPad ) and I saw a button of restore I did it and when I am back I saw every file deleted, then I checked I cloud before it was showing 22mb , but this time it was showing 443kb,( a file I created after restore of numbers ) how I can get my data back from numbers, please help me or my boss gonna kill me :(

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
, I just re installed numbers , last numbers I had 22mb of intranet office files , I was checking for options in settings (main settings of iPad ) and I saw a button of restore I did it and when I am back I saw every file deleted, then I checked I cloud before it was showing 22mb , but this time it was showing 443kb,( a file I created after restore of numbers ) how I can get my data back from numbers, please help me or my boss gonna kill me :(

I'm afraid that if those files weren't stored anywhere else when you deleted them from numbers by restoring, they can't be recovered. You'll have to explain to your boss what happened.
BTW, I've deleted your other post with this same question in the jailbreak status thread. Besides being in the wrong forum, duplicate posts fragment the conversation and make it hard to follow.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Check icloud.com using a web browser on a computer and see if your documents are still there. If not, then they are probably not recoverable. Unless you've also been syncing iCloud to a Mac, and happen to be keeping that Mac backed up.

OP
Shihid

Shihid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Check icloud.com using a web browser on a computer and see if your documents are still there. If not, then they are probably not recoverable. Unless you've also been syncing iCloud to a Mac, and happen to be keeping that Mac backed up.

I checked in a browser , gone from there :(

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Gone then.

Not to be preachy (or at least not in a negative way), learn from this. Never trust important document to one place. iCloud sounds like it would be a great backup, but it has a few issues. The main one is that other than the actual backup, the other services are designed for syncing. That means they update almost immediately, and any loss or unintentional errors get duplicated almost immediately.

The iCloud backup itself is good only until it overwrites itself on the next backup. That's daily, if you got it set up for automatic backup (default). That means it's often too late to recover a document before you realize you need to recover. It is also a full restore of the entire iPad, which is almost always more trouble than getting one file back is worth. Though sometimes it is worth it. So, though that method is probably already too late, I suggest you read up on it and become familiar for next time.

So, what I do.

One, I happen to sync with my Mac now and then. The Mac gets backed up every other day or so, and since documents & data get synced to a folder on the Mac, this is my ultimate backup. Time Machine (the backup app) keeps a history of documents so that they can be restored at any point going back.

Second, for really important stuff (of which I have very little) I take the extra minute to save my document to the cloud after each major update. I use Box for this, but DropBox or any other cloud service would work fine.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I could not agree more with the twerppoet..... Regardless of what type of computer , tablet, iPad or phone, if you have data you cannot afford to loose then back up via the computer then backup the computer with time machine or on a PC one of the many reliable backup program's. iCloud as twerppoet said is an excellent backup service however one needs to be familiar with how it works.

In my case I have a MacBook as my main computer and attached are 2 drives. One drive backs up every hour using Time machine the second drive takes a mirror copy of the computer and updates once a day using Super duper. This drive goes with me if go away for more than one day. This is in case my equipment is stolen or damaged due to some disaster such as water damage, fire etc. I also copy any critical data such as my accounting files to a memory flash drive which goes with me where ever I go. The 2 iPads backup via wifi to the computer and if I have important documents I will force the backup by using sync now in the iTunes wifi sync in general preferences. When I am away from the home I usually email any documents to my self. I personally try to avoid iCloud except for music and pictures. I use quick sale app for invoicing clients which offers email backup.

I can totally understand the frustration the OP has had and hope we have offered alternative solutions that may assist in the future.

Cheers Colin, Administrator

Most reactions

Latest posts