What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cydia irrational freeze, Reset too not responding.

knownsense

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Now this is a new issue, which i have. I have this IPAD wifi 3.2.2 which i have jailbroken with Limera1n 5-6 months back. Yesterday, while in Cydia i got the Essential upgrade popup. I went ahead with the complete upgrade option. It got stuck on that screen for 10 minutes appx. After which i shut it down and restarted it normally. It started but with the icons etc.. all reduced like in Iphone home screen. I went and clicked Cydia to find it stuck on the same essential upgrades screen. When on this screen, no clicks worked on the screen. I had to press the home button. Again i went to cydia again the same screen. I gave it some time and after futher shut down and restart twice, it automatically finished the process of essential upgrade but then on the last screen, where it reads close Cydia(Restart) it got stuck again the freeze responding to no touch. I waited for 30 minutes and then did a shut down and restart.

Now what i have is a IPAD with Iphone layout (with reduced icons) and few other irrational behaviourial triats and when in Cydia i see the Cydia home screen in all disturbed layout. i will attach the pic in the following post. None of the menus below (Cydia, Sections, Changes, Installed, Sources, Search) respond to any touch. I have the reload and about buttons responding. When i touch the About button, About Cydia Installer details popsup but then again the button to close it is not functional. Now i have to press the home button and get back to the home screen. Futher irrational behaviour :-
1. When i go to settings, General. Everything functions except the Reset key.
I am unable to scroll down whereas i am able to scroll up whenin general tab.
2. When in safari, i try entering a new url. the Keyboard pops up but i am unable to enter anything, since the keyboard doesnot respond. Rest of the page responds to the touches

These are the visible issues that caught my eyes so far.

Google has nothing on this.

Any ideas, as to what has happened?
Any help would be highly highly appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited:

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
knownsense said:
Hi Guys,

Now this is a new issue, which i have. I have this IPAD wifi 3.2.2 which i have jailbroken with Limera1n 5-6 months back. Yesterday, while in Cydia i got the Essential upgrade popup. I went ahead with the complete upgrade option. It got stuck on that screen for 10 minutes appx. After which i shut it down and restarted it normally. It started but with the icons etc.. all reduced like in Iphone home screen. I went and clicked Cydia to find it stuck on the same essential upgrades screen. When on this screen, no clicks worked on the screen. I had to press the home button. Again i went to cydia again the same screen. I gave it some time and after futher shut down and restart twice, it automatically finished the process of essential upgrade but then on the last screen, where it reads close Cydia(Restart) it got stuck again the freeze responding to no touch. I waited for 30 minutes and then did a shut down and restart.

Now what i have is a IPAD with Iphone layout (with reduced icons) and few other irrational behaviourial triats and when in Cydia i see the Cydia home screen in all disturbed layout. i will attach the pic in the following post. None of the menus below (Cydia, Sections, Changes, Installed, Sources, Search) respond to any touch. I have the reload and about buttons responding. When i touch the About button, About Cydia Installer details popsup but then again the button to close it is not functional. Now i have to press the home button and get back to the home screen. Futher irrational behaviour :-
1. When i go to settings, General. Everything functions except the Reset key.
I am unable to scroll down whereas i am able to scroll up whenin general tab.
2. When in safari, i try entering a new url. the Keyboard pops up but i am unable to enter anything, since the keyboard doesnot respond. Rest of the page responds to the touches

These are the visible issues that caught my eyes so far.

Google has nothing on this.

Any ideas, as to what has happened?
Any help would be highly highly appreciated.
Thanks

That pop up that u mentioned was probaly the new Cydia update itself. New Optimized Cydia is ver. 1.1. U might of stopped it in the middle of trying to update itself. Although ten mins. Sounds way too long for that.
As far as the other issues try doing a soft reset. With the ipad on, Hold the home and sleep button down at same time for like 5-10 secs. iPad should reboot to the apple logo screen and hopefully the issues resolved themselves. If that doesn't work. Try hard reset. Turn iPad off, hold home and sleep button down for like 30 sec. It may see, like a long time but iPad will power on and reboot. Hopefully, you'll be good to go then. If nothing works or it did, post back.

Sent from my Jailbroken IPad on 4.2.1 ;-)

OP
K

knownsense

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanx fren, but Soft reset didn't do any good. Hard reset might do. But i have a doubt. I turn the IPAD off then press the home and sleep button down for 30 secs. But when i leave both these button will the IPAD automatically boot or will i have to boot it manually. Infact i tried that. I will tell you what happened.
I held the two buttons down for 30+ seconds, in say about 7-8 secs i saw the apple logo then it stayed for a second and then vanished then again if appeared after 3-4 seconds and then stayed for a second and vanished, so far i was holding the keys down and i continued to a total of 30 seconds and the screen remained black and i had to manually boot it. Where did i go wrong? or was this itself a hard reset?
Anyhow the IPAD is still the same... iphonish type.

And yes, one more thing, do i need to be connected to pc/itunes while doing resets?

Recent Development:-
I googled someplace to find that Sbsettings can help in such situation. However as alreay mentiond none of the menu items (Cydia, Sections, Changes, Installed, Sources, Search) were respoding, i couldnt install Sbsettings. I tried searching SBsettings on the rest of the links dispalyed on Cydia. Atlast found it in some sublinks of Cydia (i dont remember which link) and installed it. It got downloaded and at the end there came a popup saying "Launch Springboard" (or something like that), and as you already know that popups had stoped responding on the ipad, after staring at each other a while :) I went ahead and kept tapping on the popup menu and waited, all of a sudden the screen read "Loading" and then all black screen with a small circle thing that goes round and round and round. It is now more than 10 minutes so far.

Again we are staring at each other endlessly. Help......

Last edited:
OP
K

knownsense

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I couldn't stare it long, gor bored of the small circulating thingy, i tried a Soft reset.
It got shut down...and....
guess what......
Now a new thing was staring at a me....:confused:........."this time an Apple
Niether of us willing to blink..........it went on and on for more than a minute
"Patience is a Virtue" (Sometimes :D)
and .........
I won :cool:
IPAD (blinked) booted
and when it was back, it was back with ......
my old same icons, the same vibrant screen, again responsive to my touches, same pinch to zoom, same Cydia with all working menu keys
and.....
I fell in love with it all over again....

You ppl at Ipadforums has been a catalyst, every time i logged in, waiting for a reply. Every time I updated this post it assured me as if some1 is listening. But it worked.

i hope this post has added something to the forum as well.

Thanks frenz.
especially "Demandarin"

OP
K

knownsense

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey frenz new development.

Now when all is going fine, i went into Cydia and it showed me 3 upgrades. I chose to upgarde, it downloaded the upgrades and asked me to launch Springboard.
I did it and now it is again blank, this small round thing goes round and round and round endlessly, after a while it vanishes the complete screen is blank and dark, and then when i press the home button, again this small thing appears going round and round..

Whats is with this?

Now what?

I think i would reset it after some time. I will post back.:)

OP
K

knownsense

iPF Noob
Reaction score
O yes, i did a soft reset.

The thing booted, with again all the iphonish layout, all icons small and disturbed and with all the pevious mentioned issues.

I again did a respring and it is again normal and working.

But is this issue now for life time, will i have to live with it, ie., everytime i upgrade or install something from cydia, will i have to respring?

Waiting for guidance.
Thanks

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Huh. I thought it was just me, with the odd behavior on boot/reboot, but fine on respring.

If I reboot, I get the odd, tiny icons and most of my "mods" are gone. Doesn't say it's in safe mode, though (that I remember). If I then respring, everything comes up fine. Very strange - and it just started recently.

I'm thinking something with Winterboard isn't playing correctly. Do you have Winterboard?

Or, anyone else with this?

Marilyn

P.S. Oh, I can live with it, so no worries there. Just seems strange - plus it just started (but, as far as I remember, my problem started before the Cydia upgrade, which is why I'm thinking Winterboard issues...).

liverpoolluke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Now this is a new issue, which i have. I have this IPAD wifi 3.2.2

bloody hell that's old !

I had something similar, reset my ipad with 4.3.1 installed all the same programs all went well (just tethered boot due to firmware)

the cydia update messed my system up and I don't like the new cydia so keep the old one if possible !

I would suggest you upgrade your ipad to 4.2.1 and greenpoision

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
knownsense said:
I couldn't stare it long, gor bored of the small circulating thingy, i tried a Soft reset.
It got shut down...and....
guess what......
Now a new thing was staring at a me....:confused:........."this time an Apple
Niether of us willing to blink..........it went on and on for more than a minute
"Patience is a Virtue" (Sometimes :D)
and .........
I won :cool:
IPAD (blinked) booted
and when it was back, it was back with ......
my old same icons, the same vibrant screen, again responsive to my touches, same pinch to zoom, same Cydia with all working menu keys
and.....
I fell in love with it all over again....

You ppl at Ipadforums has been a catalyst, every time i logged in, waiting for a reply. Every time I updated this post it assured me as if some1 is listening. But it worked.

i hope this post has added something to the forum as well.

Thanks frenz.
especially "Demandarin"

No problem!

Sent from my Jailbroken IPad on 4.2.1 ;-)

OP
K

knownsense

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guys now this is getting extreme. The layout on the ipad goes on getting disturbed and the frequency is like every hour i have to respring it. What can be the problem. Last time i upgraded essentials on Cydia, this problem started and now cydia is again prompting me to upgrade essentials.

Should i upgrade essentials?

Now since i have upgraded Cydia, can i not undo it?

Even after upgrading to 4.2.1 and greenpoison, will this problem not reappear?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
knownsense said:
Guys now this is getting extreme. The layout on the ipad goes on getting disturbed and the frequency is like every hour i have to respring it. What can be the problem. Last time i upgraded essentials on Cydia, this problem started and now cydia is again prompting me to upgrade essentials.

Should i upgrade essentials?

Now since i have upgraded Cydia, can i not undo it?

Even after upgrading to 4.2.1 and greenpoison, will this problem not reappear?

Cydia is not your problem. You can update that without fear.

You have a jb app or tweak installled which is not yet compatible with 4.3.x
It is really difficult for me to say which one.

When 4.2.1 was released there were several apps which caused this effect until their developers corrected the problems. I believe it was a simple procedure name change which apple made on 4.2.1 and clashed with several apps.

Scrollingboard and Notified Pro were culprits for me, but they have been corrected for a while now.

The best way to discover what the problem is is to diable your mobile substrate extensions using sbsettings and then re-enable them one by one, rebooting every time, until it happens again. Then you will know exactly what App it is.

Sorry, but there is no easier solution at the moment...

OP
K

knownsense

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any possiblity of YXplayer causing this to happen?
What i recollect is that this issue started exactly after i downloaded YXplayer. I have removed it. Letc.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
knownsense said:
Any possiblity of YXplayer causing this to happen?
What i recollect is that this issue started exactly after i downloaded YXplayer. I have removed it. Letc.

As I said, it is impossible for me to tell without installing it myself to see if my device breaks. For obvious reasons, I would rather you try removing it to see if that works!
Best of luck, and don't forget to post back when you identify the culprit and tell us what version it is also, so that others may avoid the app on 4.3.1 until the developer provides an update...
Good luck!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I mentioned earlier in this thread that I was experiencing the same problem with my iPad (iOS version 4.2.1 with GreenPois0n RC6 jailbreak).

Turns out PhotoMail was my problem. I found that out by serendipity ... was Googling the problem and saw a mention that PhotoMail had caused problems for some people.

I don't remember the thread where I found this list of apps that cause these type of troubles, but maybe you can Google some of the terms? Or, maybe you've installed PhotoMail, in which case you'll want to uninstall it.

Anyway - just wanted to report back and say that I fixed my problem (like y'all care...:)) and to not use PhotoMail if you want a normal boot/reboot without having to respring afterwards (which you probably care more about :D).

Marilyn

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
I mentioned earlier in this thread that I was experiencing the same problem with my iPad (iOS version 4.2.1 with GreenPois0n RC6 jailbreak).

Turns out PhotoMail was my problem. I found that out by serendipity ... was Googling the problem and saw a mention that PhotoMail had caused problems for some people.

I don't remember the thread where I found this list of apps that cause these type of troubles, but maybe you can Google some of the terms? Or, maybe you've installed PhotoMail, in which case you'll want to uninstall it.

Anyway - just wanted to report back and say that I fixed my problem (like y'all care...:)) and to not use PhotoMail if you want a normal boot/reboot without having to respring afterwards (which you probably care more about :D).

Marilyn

For sure we care! Great that you identified the problem app, and shared the details here on IPF.

Most reactions