Customer Ratings - does it affect you decision ?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by EODtech, Sep 26, 2010.

1. EODtech

EODtech iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    iTunes App Store lets iPad software users rate applications on a 1 to 5 star rating system. I have been using this as a guide in which applications I download. I have seen applications recommended on the forum by users and go to the App Store and it shows 5 stars is 17 and one star is 34, with a scattering of ratings in between. How much of an influence do the ratings make in your decision to download an application OR purchase that application without the ability to try it before buying it. I wish the Shareware concept was an option for iPad applications, the " Lite " options just don't hack it for me.
  2. NumbLock

NumbLock iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    Yeah, it affects my decision a lot, but I disregard a lot of the one-star reviews for complex apps; like when people buy without reading the description.
  3. joephoto

joephoto iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've come to rely on a mixture of the ratings and written reviews. I've also searched for reviews online for more expensive apps that I just wasn't sure about. I'm actually doing it right now to decide between 3 folio apps.

Google's app system for Android has a 24 hour refund policy. If you buy an app that turns out to be total junk, you can get your money refunded in just a few clicks within the first 24 hours of buying and downloading it. I would love to see Apple implement this within the app store. It's a huge time saver.
  4. ArthurIhde

ArthurIhde iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    yes,i only choose more that 4 stars
  5. iwhat

iwhat iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I highly disagree with most of the comments. They are often false and misleading,say for example, I was looking for an app to just record small informations into different categories for later access. I found database for iPad the free one,now if you read the reviews most says false stuff like "I can't even make a new database",or "it is a complete junk,don't waste your time" etc,but I decided to give it a try and what do you know almost all the negative comments and ratings were clean lies or ignorance,I could do everything the comments claimed to be impossible,and the app pretty much overdid everything it claimed to do,so now I suggest don't be fooled by false comments or ratings as they are often written for mischievous intent or just complete ignorance on how to use the app and whats the real purpose of the app. But yes I don't say you do that always,when it comes to expensive apps do some research and you'll have enough information to decide.

Thanks
  6. MaggieB

MaggieB iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    While I use them to narrow the search I rely more on reviews of sites I respect and know I can count on for authenticity...
  7. tzimisce

tzimisce iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I tend to look at the most critical reviews and see what they say: a serious or recurring issue raised by several users is a fairly good indication of a problem.
  8. Hasty

Hasty iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Disregard the stars and read the blurb mainly, but then I'm lead to the app by a positive review from somewhere else on the web. Can't be bothered to search the appstore. Just to damned big now.
  9. TFarmer

TFarmer iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Very much. I read what they have to say.
  10. Tinman

Tinman iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    If I really think I could use the app I tend to look for reviews from people like you and your experience above. When I see something like "I don't know what these reviewers are talking about, doing xyz is certainly possible with this app..." I tend to take notice and look for others saying something similar.

I also look for recent updates that might have been problematic, but are now fixed. For instance if a recent update went horribly, a ton of people will post 1 star reviews bringing the average down very quickly. But if I see they WERE happy and now they are not I look at the most recent reviews to see if a subsequent update has resolved it (e.g., "Thank God for the last update... all is well again and back up to 5 stars!").

Michael
  11. DavidWitt

DavidWitt iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good points made here, and as a developer, i'm glad to see people are reading the reviews more than the star rating. I think the star rating is definitely lopsided, because the only time it is automatically prompted in on uninstall.
  12. IgorMss

IgorMss iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sure, I first read several reviews, and then make a choice.
  13. AmandaY

AmandaY iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, it is important to me to read a lot of reviews first before making a decision. So, I don't buy anything newly introduced to the market.
  14. tzimisce

tzimisce iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    You can tell very quickly from the comments and their context whether it's a valid issue, or a dissatisfied user spitting poison because he/she didn't read the description and the app didn't meet expectations. Personally I dislike rating/scoring systems, because they don't tell you anything except the popularity of an item.