What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cursor jumps elsewhere randomly when answering emails

Ryk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I open an email and then reply to it I start typing and suddenly the cursor has jumped elsewhere in the email (often into the email I am responding to) and I look up and see that I am typing elsewhere. Have to delete the letters/words and reposition the cursor where it should be. Sometimes it skips again immediately after typing one letter other times after a few letters. It's driving me mad. I have done a complete reset as instructed by Apple but that did not solve it. I cannot work this way. It is not fit for purpose at the moment.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Whenever apps begin to act like that, it's best to quit the appls in your multi-task bar. Double press the home button or do a 4 finger swipe upward. Press the red negative circles to quit all the apps and try re-test.

If that doesn't work, it's always good to restart the device. To do this just press the powe button to power off.

Give these 2 a try.

OP
R

Ryk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi.. Done all of the suggested and not fixed. I am thinking it is a bug or maybe that some parameter s causing it.

af847

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had this same issue before on my Ipad in the native email app. When I"m typing the reply, the cursor moves somewhere else as said above. Very frustrating. Hasn't done it in awhile, but has happened a few times to me also.

mathJoeB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could it be that you are wearing long sleeves and brushing the pad? This was a problem my bil had on his laptop. Hope this helps. Joe

Spectreal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This still happens to me and I’m using the latest iPad from 2017. I have the latest iOS update and I am using a Gmail app for my email but I noticed this problem happened anywhere I might be editing text.
This also used to happen on my previous iPad from four years ago. Nothing has changed.
It is just very frustrating to move the cursor to the spot where I want to begin editing, I type one character, and then the cursor moves somewhere else. It either goes to the end of the line or the end of the paragraph. Are there secret key commands that I’m accidentally hitting causing it to do this?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This still happens to me and I’m using the latest iPad from 2017. I have the latest iOS update and I am using a Gmail app for my email but I noticed this problem happened anywhere I might be editing text.
This also used to happen on my previous iPad from four years ago. Nothing has changed.
It is just very frustrating to move the cursor to the spot where I want to begin editing, I type one character, and then the cursor moves somewhere else. It either goes to the end of the line or the end of the paragraph. Are there secret key commands that I’m accidentally hitting causing it to do this?
Welcome to iPad Forums!

Do you use the built in keyboard, or a Bluetooth keyboard?

Most reactions