What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Curing my upside down movies

jbordy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know that I saw the answer on this forum because I viewed it at the Apple store, but naturally when I got home I could not find it. Here is my problem. When I take
home-movies with my IPad and play them back on the IPad the movies are right side up. When I transfer/export them to my PC and play them with Quicktime they play right side up. When I play them with any other player, like Media Player, they play upside down. But the real bummer and the reason for my post is that when I copy them to a CD and replay them they play upside down. So here is my question:
How do I turn the movies right side up on my PC so as to have the ability to copy them for storage or even to send them to another person so that later the movies will play right side up? Will I need to install something/software on my IPad to do this initially? Can I install something on my PC to do this after the movies are transferred?
Thanks for any help and suggestions.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This may have been the thread you were reading.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-2-forum/87354-my-videos-when-taken-ipad-laptop-horizontal.html

Good to know the forum is being read in Apple Stores.

Unfortunately, I don't know any method for flipping a video in another player that has already been recorded. All I can suggest is making QuickTime the default player for .mov files.

A workaround for the CD Playback issue may be to make QuickTime the default player for playing CDs, however I have not checked it out.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Last edited:
OP
J

jbordy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Kevin. If I play the movie in Quicktime it plays in the correct orrientation and when I save the movie it is indicated that it is saved using Quicktime as the player default. But when I replay the movie from the CD and change to a different media reader the orientation is reversed and the movie is upside down. Yes the movie plays correctly with Quicktime but when using any other media player it will play upside down. The movie is of my granddaughter, my first, so when I send the movie to my daughter-in-law I will tell her to use Quicktime unless I can find a different software that will reverse the upside down orientation from the beginning. Thanks again.

jimreeve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I made a little clip of our recent snowfall on my iPad 5 and sent it to my friend. He wrote back that the video was upside down. I did a little investigating. First, I sent that movie clip to myself from the iPad to my Windows 8 desktop computer. I then opened it in various movie-playing programs. I looked at it in these four players: Window 8's own video player, Windows Media Center, Windows Media Player and Apple Quick Time for Windows. All but one of them played the clip right-side up. The one that screwed up and played it upside down was Windows Media Center.

My next step in this experiment was to shoot a couple of test clips using the iPad in different orientations. First, I shot a clip with the iPad's "Home" button on my left and then with it on my right. The image on my monitor is always right-side up, regardless of how I hold the iPad, of course, since that is just a feature of the thing As we learned when we first got it. It uses gravity to always present a picture right-side up, regardless of whether you hold it with any of its four edges facing down.

But, based on viewing the clips using various applications on my desktop, it appears that the "native" orientation for the iPad held in landscape format is with the "Home" button on the right side. All of the movie viewers on my PC showed the movie clip taken when the iPad was held that way appear to be right-side-up. My guess is that for portrait format, the "Home" button should be on the bottom.

If you already have some upside-down videos, I suppose that the only way to make them look right using all movie players is to use an editing program to flip them over.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's hint to prevent this problem from occurring with future videos. When making them, hold the iPad with the home button to the right, it will prevent the upside down video problem from occurring.

Most reactions

Latest posts