What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crux 360 vs Clamcase ?

ChipsAhoy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife and I both have had ZaggMates for a couple of months now, and love them. The batteries last forever, and the keyboard is very responsive. Being able to choose portrait mode is a significant advantage over a netbook.

Most importantly to us, it doesn't add significant bulk or weight as the other keyboard cases do. To me this is a huge factor. It's also much simpler to use the iPad as an iPad (bare).

Two things that I'm not crazy about with the Zagg:

- The front end is a bit too high and sharp, and so it's a bit uncomfortable for long use
- The back of the iPad is unprotected. This part was easily solved with a Zagg leather skin, which also makes it much nicer to hold the iPad when it's out of the case.

Surculla

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you going to elaborate further on your review? Why would you choose the ClamCase over the other two products? (because it makes the iPad "look like a net book"???)

I like brevity but you really need to explain your findings with a little bit more detail. Is there going to be an Engadget review posted on your website?

Are you speaking as a representative of Engadget (and thereby lending you a lot of credibility). If you are, I am taking you to task for making recommendations unsubstantiated with any more verbiage than "I felt is easier to get in and out of...." type comments. I often read Engadgets reviews of many products, and your posting is not up to Engadget's standards.

I apologize for coming on very heavy here. I don't mean to denigrate you personally but do understand, people make buying decisions based on reviews from forums such as this one and from websites like Engadget. Linking this forum and Engadget with your posting, muddies the veracity of both.

I apologize that my posting is not up to Engadget's standings. I am relatively new to reviewing products like these, so none of my reviews have actually yet been published yet. I am being told that after submitting these reviews, my coworkers are very satisfied with my improvement with reviewing. Engadget is truly a great company to work for and I would never try to degrade their name in any way.

Here are my full reviews:

ZaggMate
Quality Of Construction: 7/10
Ease of Use: 9/10
Value: 6/10
Overall: 7/10

The Good:
ZaggMate is made of a high-grade aluminum that is very similar to that used on the back of the iPad itself. It is very easy to insert the iPad into this case, as all you need to do is postiton it on it's stand, and removal is just as easy, as all you need to do is lift it from the stand. The ZaggMate only adds about 1/4 of an inch of width to the iPad, as the iPad sits inside of it. It is also much lighter than the @ClamCase and @Crux360.

The Bad:
Unlike the @ClamCase and @Crux360, this case has nothing to secure the iPad with, so it is very succeptable to falls and dings. In addition, this case is limited to two viewing angles, while the @ClamCase and @Crux360 has an unlimited amount. Also, the ZaggMate feels cheap, and the plastic keys feel like they are made crappily (you see, I'm inventing words).

The Verdict:
ZaggMate really is no better than the iPad keyboard dock when it comes to this type of stand, and at least that has a full size keyboard. When it comes to picking out the perfect keyboard case, this certainly isn't it.

ClamCase

Quality of Construction: 9/10
Ease of Use: 8/10
Value: 9/10
Overall: 9/10

The Good:
ClamCase feels very solid when you hold it and looks and feels exactly like a netbook. It is made in the USA of high-quality ABS plastic. It has an unlimited amount of viewing angles, and just like a tablet computer, you can fold it all up and lock the keyboard away and hidden from view. For $99 it is a much better, stronger, and more versatile solution than the @ZaggMate, which is currently selling for the same price.

The Bad:
It looks and feels just like a netbook; a pretty heavy one. It adds quite a bit of weight to the iPad as well as the width added, which makes the iPad pretty thick. The keys are smaller than on a full-size keyboard and take some getting used to.

The Verdict:
For $99, the ClamCase is the best keyboard iPad case around. It is wallet and user-friendly, is made well, and is a great addition to any iPad.

Crux360

Quality of Construction: 8/10
Ease of Use: 7/10
Value: 8/10
Overall: 8/10

The Good:
The Crux360 is made of high-quality ABS plastic just like the @ClamCase, which I like. This also has a netbook look and feel. It is actually quite similar to the ClamCase, which is pretty darn awesome. It does feel a bit more natural to use though, as is is slightly lighter and bigger than the @ClamCase. It, like the @ClamCase is way better than the @ZaggMate.

The Bad:
The keys feel rubbery, which I personally hate. Like the @ClamCase, the keys are undersized, although not quite as much as the @ClamCase. The quality doesn't compare to the @ClamCase, though and after testing it on drops, the @ClamCase provided much more protection for the iPad. At $149, it is priced above all of it's current competitors. Also, nobody seems to know exactly when the Crux will ship, however the @ClamCase is set to ship next week.

The Verdict:
The Crux360 case is certainly cool, but cool in itself isn't good enough. I feel that too much time was spent on making it look and function well, and not enough was spent on making sure this provides protection for the iPad. It still is a very nice case that will certainly show off well.

I hope that this addresses all of your concerns with my writing style. Please do not assume that Engadget is only as good as me, as I don't have enough experience to be at the level of many other fantastic Engadget writers. I am always open to writing suggestions, and thanks for helping me become a better writer.

-Urculla S.

Before making a decision based on these reviews, I would suggest people visit Clamcase's Facebook page (Discussion area) and read all the problems people are having.

The problems that people have been having have all (or almost all) been due to shipping problems. I even ordered one, and I loved it when I finally got it (March). About a month or so later, the iPad 2 was released. I then sold my old ClamCase on eBay, as it wasn't compatible with the iPad 2. Just a suggestion, wait until the ClamCase 2 is actually shipping before you order it unless you want to get just before the iPad 3 comes out. For now, I'm dealing with the virtual keyboard, as the only option out that looks halfway decent is the ZaggMate and I am using a Composition II case from Portenzo for my iPad 2. For a keyboard case, I will wait for an Adonit Writer, which looks pretty cool.

So to sum up,
If you want a great product and don't care how long it takes, then by all means, buy the Clamcase, but if you want it fast, look elsewhere.

So,
Thanks for making people aware of ClamCase's shipping times, and I hope that you guys find this little follow-up helpful.

All the Best,
Urculla.

(Just a note: This is not a review, but rather a follow-up to some people's concerns, and I am not representing Engadget in writing this)

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've seen and held both the ZaggMate (I own one) and the ClamCase (a guy at work got one). I would choose the Zaggmate over the ClamCase ANY DAY. The ClamCase makes the iPad so heavy and so thick, you might as well be lugging around a netbook or a laptop. You also can't use the keyboard while using the ZaggMate in portrait mode. Also, a lot of the apps I have only work in one landscape orientation - I would have to pop the iPad in and out of the ClamCase to turn it around constantly!

Obviously, it's a personal choice, but if you are at all worried about the weight or thickness of your tablet, then the ClamCase is NOT going to make you happy!

Surculla

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've seen and held both the ZaggMate (I own one) and the ClamCase (a guy at work got one). I would choose the Zaggmate over the ClamCase ANY DAY. The ClamCase makes the iPad so heavy and so thick, you might as well be lugging around a netbook or a laptop. You also can't use the keyboard while using the ZaggMate in portrait mode. Also, a lot of the apps I have only work in one landscape orientation - I would have to pop the iPad in and out of the ClamCase to turn it around constantly!

Obviously, it's a personal choice, but if you are at all worried about the weight or thickness of your tablet, then the ClamCase is NOT going to make you happy!

No, you're absolutely right. It is a matter of personal choice. I don't mind the extra bulk, so I like the ClamCase, but there definitely are some drawbacks. One of my friends has the ZaggMate and got it about 3 months before I got the ClamCase (although we ordered at the same time) and I will say that the ZaggMate does grow on you, but I'm still holding out for something that I like better for my iPad 2. I'm glad that you like your ZaggMate. Enjoy it.

-Urculla.

Waynemckinney

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ZAGGMate a great case

Just to respond to an earlier review that the keyboard on the ZAGGmate feels cheap, I couldn't disagree more. Everything about the device feels high quality, and the keyboard feels better than any I've tried out for the iPad. It also preserves the true intent of the iPad--sleekness and portability. I'm not sure why anyone would want to but an "armored tank" to snap their iPad into like the Clamcase that weighs more than the iPad itself. What's the point of even having a tablet if you're just going to turn it into a faux netbook?

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agreed.... I literally could not believe how heavy the ClamCase was - I NEVER would have imagined that it would add that much weight...

mortenandersen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As I write a lot, there is one aspect of the keyboards of the three cases dealt with here, that I must comment on and stress: That is the keyboard layout. As far as I can see from the pictures, only ClamCase has what I think is a very good layout for the right shift key and the arrow keys. The other two keyboards in the review (and I think also Locitec's keyboard) have a very sub-optimal layout in this regard: The right shift key is too small, and is "cramped in" between other keys and is located too close to the arrow up key, and these facts of the layout make MISTYPING a huge problem, I think. On the other hand, ClamCase has a very good solution with the right shift key and arrow keys, just like Apple's own good external keyboard. For me, this is the major reason why I will get the ClamCase (despite some more weight), and I also appreciate that the unit (iPad2 and keyboard case together) looks like a small notebook or laptop.

But the crucial thing for me is the good ClamCase solution of these aspects of the keyboard layout where the arrow keys are more "gathered", separated from the other keys, and where the right shift key are big enough and located in a place where it is easy to hit without mistyping.

Last edited:

mortenandersen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Regarding use of the keyboards discussed in this thread, and for me especially the ClamCase, does anyone know whether it is possible to write the Scandinavian letters (Æ, Ø og Å) with the keyboard, even these letters of course not are printed on the keys themselves. (BTW: With laptops in general, this is not a problem; the user just makes a choice in the OS for the language one wants, and the keyboard is working accordingly.)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts