Crux 360 vs Clamcase ?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by JeremyV, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Quantus

Quantus
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    How much weight does each add?

2. Gellio

Gellio
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks so much for your comparision review. I had been debating which one of these to get and got the Zagg for the simple reason that the other two basically transform the iPad into a net book. Zagg offers the advantage of using the iPad naked, which to me is the most comfortable way to use it. The other two seem like they would be odd, heavy and bulky to hold while not using the keyboard. I got a skin to protect the iPad back and a shield to protect the backing of the Zagg. They are ordered. Once they arrive, I will hopefully have finally found the ideal iPad case.

3. Surculla

Surculla
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    My mistake. I accidentally attached the wrong photo. Thanks for catching that.

4. Surculla

Surculla
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Weights

The ZaggMate adds about 3/4 of a pound to the weight of the iPad.

The ClamCase adds about 1 and 1/2 pounds to the weight of the iPad.

The Crux360 adds about 2 pounds (maybe a little less) to the weight of the iPad.

Hope this helps.

5. Blackbelt

Blackbelt
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Part of my interest is driven from the fact that the case offers clips to hold the ipad as oppose to cases that cover the back frame of the IPAD thus crowds the screen.

6. Waynemckinney

Waynemckinney
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Before making a decision based on these reviews, I would suggest people visit Clamcase's Facebook page (Discussion area) and read all the problems people are having.

7. jtrosky

jtrosky
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I'd also like to add that I've had a ZaggMate for a few months now and I absolutely love it. It's the perfect case/stand/keyboard. comparing it to the Apple iPad dock? It's a different type of device completely since it's ALWAYS with you (because it's also your iPad case). The Apple keyboard dock is not portable by any means. I also love that I can just pick up my iPad and use it in it's "native" state whenI don;'t need a keyboard (instead of having an inch thick iPad ALL of the time).

It's a personal decision of course, but I think you gave the ZaggMate a very poor review when it's actually an awesome product.

Plus, you can use you iPad in Portrait mode too - let's see you do that with the ClamCase or Crux 360! I can't imagine having to pop the iPad out all of the time - because there are a lot of apps that only support one landscape mode too.... I see the ZaggMate as offering more freedom. SUre, I only have one viewing angle, but that's all I use anyway! :)

And one of the best benefits of all - you can actually get one!!

8. ocdetails

ocdetails
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I weighed my options before getting the Clam Case. Here were some of my decision factors:

Zagg: Nothing to protect the back of the iPad. I don't like that. There is also nothing to secure the iPad to the keyboard, which is also a minus. I spend a lot of time traveling and I need something secure. The Zagg case will allow the iPad to easily fall while in a plane and doesn't really assist in lounging on the couch or in bed watching NetFlix. So basically it is one step above just getting a bluetooth keyboard, but you still have an extra piece to keep track of.

Crux: I really hate the two piece design of the 'lid'. It is similar to the two piece hard shell cases for the iPod. And the window showing the apple logo is a major minus. I don't like loud branding showing on the products I use. I'm the kind of guy who removes emblems and dealership branding from my cars and don't wear clothes with loud branding all over them. So that detracts right away. The loud Crux branding on it is another minus. I would probably just live with it if it weren't for the fact that this case costs more than the clam case and the clam case doesn't have any of those annoying features.

The clam case seems to be well thought out. Obviously not too many people have gotten their hands on them for review purposes yet, but from the pictures I've seen I really like it. I'm using a soft case with keyboard in it (similar to the crux360 case picture shown) and that has worked out well, but it is still too floppy and makes for less than easy viewing angles when lounging. Having a 'lid' that stays at various angles is a huge plus. Being able to snap the iPad into the front of the case instead of separating it is another design plus. It will really fit my needs well since I do a ton of writing on my iPad and the keyboard functionality is a must. I'm not getting it because I want the iPad to look like a netbook or anything else. I'm getting it because it adds the functionality I require out of the product.

Still... Once they make an Android tablet the same size with a capacitive touch screen, this iPad is going to the curb. That Atrix I saw at CES has had me drooling for weeks now...

9. ocdetails

ocdetails
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    You can use the iPad in portrait mode with these other cases too. Just fold the 'lid' back and there you have it. I've been using my iPad to type on extensively for three or four months now and I've never once wished I could use it in portrait mode. Sure there are some apps that only work that way, but I'm not playing those apps with the keyboard anyway, so it isn't really an issue.

10. ipadfanatic

ipadfanatic
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    You should also add that it will take 30-40 for the Crux 360 to ship to you. The Clamcase will ship when they feel like shipping (maybe never) and the ZaggMate is available to you immediately.

Still the Clamcase is my choice.