What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Creating forms

Jmullenax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am an elementary administrator and want to create a form that I can complete while conducting informal observations. Ideally, I would like to be able to complete the form, email it to the teacher, and store the data for future use. Is there an app for this?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am an elementary administrator and want to create a form that I can complete while conducting informal observations. Ideally, I would like to be able to complete the form, email it to the teacher, and store the data for future use. Is there an app for this?

Yes - the app you need is SignMyPad. It allows you to import a predefined PDF document - perhaps a spreadsheet that you created on the iPad using Apple's Numbers app and saved as PDF. In SignMyPad you can add 'radio buttons' and 'text boxes' which can be clicked on or completed as you go down the check list. The app also accepts handwriting input, so you can have a space for someone to sign the document. Then the document can be 'flattened' so that it can no longer be edited and then emailed or printed from within the app.

Have a look at it in the iPad App Store. It's been highly recommended by several members.

Tim

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Yes - the app you need is SignMyPad. It allows you to import a predefined PDF document - perhaps a spreadsheet that you created on the iPad using Apple's Numbers app and saved as PDF. In SignMyPad you can add 'radio buttons' and 'text boxes' which can be clicked on or completed as you go down the check list. The app also accepts handwriting input, so you can have a space for someone to sign the document. Then the document can be 'flattened' so that it can no longer be edited and then emailed or printed from within the app.

Have a look at it in the iPad App Store. It's been highly recommended by several members.

Tim

Sorry to be a pain Tim but I've tried using this as it could be useful to school work but I seem to be doing something wrong. I've put in the URL and it downloads successfully but there is nothing there to look at. What am I doing wrong?
Does this only use PDFs us make and not ones from the Internet? Confused?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:

Tim

Sorry to be a pain Tim but I've tried using this as it could be useful to school work but I seem to be doing something wrong. I've put in the URL and it downloads successfully but there is nothing there to look at. What am I doing wrong?
Does this only use PDFs us make and not ones from the Internet? Confused?

OK - you have SignMyPad on your iPad. You see a PDF on the Internet and you look at it with, say, Safari. Safari downloads and opens the PDF. You 'touch' the PDF and you get the menu bar with the 'Open in' items. Can you choose 'Open with SignMyPad' there? I'm guessing you've done all this and, when you click on 'Open with SignMyPad' the iPad switches apps to SignMyPad but you then see nothing.

Tim

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No, it doesnt give signwithpad at all, it gives goodreader, files, pages etc... So I tried emailing the link and also copying the URL into the app but no go. I will try when I get home but may have to email you again for extra help or with some success

kriskiter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PDF Expert will do fillable PDF forms

create the form with Adobe acrobat.

our team uses checklist forms with fillable areas for comments every day

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Unfortunately I've bought this now but will try yours if no success though thanks

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, it doesnt give signwithpad at all, it gives goodreader, files, pages etc... So I tried emailing the link and also copying the URL into the app but no go. I will try when I get home but may have to email you again for extra help or with some success

Dear Hayley,

I'm not sure what the problem is - if you have a look at the SignMyPad entry in the App Store you'll see there - on the first page - a picture that shows someone opening a PDF document and the 'Open in SignMyPad' menu coming up.....

Tim

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Dear Hayley,

I'm not sure what the problem is - if you have a look at the SignMyPad entry in the App Store you'll see there - on the first page - a picture that shows someone opening a PDF document and the 'Open in SignMyPad' menu coming up.....

Tim

Okay I've tried again. Here are the screen shots ! Knowing me I'm probably doing something wrong but aahgg

Then the signmypad stays blank

Attachments

• image-146035081.png
    image-146035081.png
    71.7 KB · Views: 296
  • image-3758866185.png
    image-3758866185.png
    139.6 KB · Views: 252
  • image-3656021128.png
    image-3656021128.png
    65.9 KB · Views: 243

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is there an empty form you can send me that I can use to see if it's the pdf I'm using

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:
Okay I've tried again. Here are the screen shots ! Knowing me I'm probably doing something wrong but aahgg

Then the signmypad stays blank

When you have multiple apps that can open PDF's are they in the list, but you need to scroll. Have you tried scrolling down the Open In... list? I know it is fairly basic and you have probably tried it already. But it is the only thing I can currently think off.

Hold on.

Your trying to open a .doc in SignMyPad, of course that is not going to work!

Last edited:

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
When you have multiple apps that can open PDF's are they in the list, but you need to scroll. Have you tried scrolling down the Open In... list. I know it is fairly basic and you have probably tried it already. But it is the only thing I can currently think off.

Yes, I think it's Dropbox that is missing, obviously couldn't stretch box of course. What do you think?

Reaction score
Here's what you can do.

-open the .doc in Pages
-tap on the right pointing arrow in pages and select Email document
-choose PDF and send it to your email
-open the email and choose Open in...
-SignMyPad should appear

But honestly, using NoteTakerHD is easier, as it converts a .doc to PDF directly on import.

Most reactions

Latest posts