What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Creating categories for mail when on iPad

123bosco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a way (or an app) to mark or flag specific email messages for easier identification later. For instance, using a red flag for urgent items, similar to Outlook

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've moved this to the Help section as I think it will receive better attention there. I hope this was OK.

For sure, though, the basic iPad Mail app doesn't have this facility and I've not heard of another third-party mail app that does either. But maybe other Members will have some more information.

Tim

OP

123bosco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, thanks for moving this to the help section. I'm new to this forum and still learning my way around. Hopefully, someone has a solution or a solution is developed

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your best solution is probably to create some sub-folders in your inbox, to make your folder structure look something like this:

Inbox
... A - Business
......... 1 - Urgent
......... 2 - Priority
......... 3 - Routine
... B - Personal
......... 1 - Urgent
......... 2 - Priority
......... 3 - Routine
Drafts
Sent
Trash
(etc)

You can obviously call these folders whatever you like. Then, when mail arrives, just move it into the appropriate sub-folder (click on the 4th symbol from the right on the top right corner of the screen).

psacosta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DM51 said:
Your best solution is probably to create some sub-folders in your inbox, to make your folder structure look something like this:

Inbox
... A - Business
......... 1 - Urgent
......... 2 - Priority
......... 3 - Routine
... B - Personal
......... 1 - Urgent
......... 2 - Priority
......... 3 - Routine
Drafts
Sent
Trash
(etc)

You can obviously call these folders whatever you like. Then, when mail arrives, just move it into the appropriate sub-folder (click on the 4th symbol from the right on the top right corner of the screen).

How can I ceeate that sub folders ?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can't create mail folders on the iPad itself. If you want the type of structure that is being suggested here you have to do two things...

(1) Create those folders on your email server - perhaps using webmail from Safari.
(2) Make sure you are using (or switch to, if you are not) the IMAP protocol for receiving your mail.

IMAP makes the iPad have a 'window' onto your email server and so the folder structure on your server will be reflected on the iPad. You can set up the IMAP protocol (and switch from the older POP protocol) in 'Settings', 'Mail, Contacts, Calendar', 'Accounts' -> select the account that you want to use and then make the changes. If you need further help to do this, don't hesitate to contact us again

Tim

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How can I create that sub folders ?

I created mine in Outlook on my computer (the one I sync to). I have an exchange a/c and it automatically replicates the folder structure on the iPad. You can create whatever sub-folders you want and call them whatever you like, but bear in mind you can't expand/collapse them on the iPad as you can in Outlook.

As Tim says, you can also do it with IMAP, but I don't know about POP.

Most reactions

Latest posts