What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Creating and editing Word documents

normanj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is Pages the best app for creating and editing Word documents, or is there something better?

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pages, office2, and docs to go does allows those things. With pages though, sometimes doc. Format gets screwed up a lil if u have a formatting done on desktop not supported by pages. Like fancy fonts or bordering for example. The latter 2 work just fine.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is Pages the best app for creating and editing Word documents, or is there something better?

I agree with the last poster - although other Forum members recommend Doc2Go and QuickOffice.

You have to remember that it's a stripped down version of the Apple iWorks Mac version and can 'struggle' with complex formatted documents. There are some limitations but most of them have workarounds so, if you decide to go the Pages route and have any problems, get back in touch and hopefully we can help you with any 'fixes' you may need. But, for most all applications, it's a very capable performer - particularly, as you'd expect, with graphics where it excels - even better than Word (which isn't saying much, I guess!)

You can read about Pages capabilities on the Apple Help site

http://help.apple.com/iwork/1.3/mobile/interface/index.html#tan724868a9

Have fun and welcome to the Forum

Tim
Scotland

OP
N

normanj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks - in terms of creating documents, my needs are more text than graphics.

AlunReynolds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
normanj said:

I use Pages quite a lot, but I also have Docs to Go, Office 2, and Quick Office installed on my ipad. They all have limitations when it comes to handling files and working on Microsoft Word documents. I keep chopping and changing between them for different uses.

Most of them are fine for producing or editing basic text documents or documents with text and graphics. They offer a limited amount of formatting when compared to Word and some lack some basic functionality like search and replace. All lack track changes, which, if you are using the iPad for business use is, in my view, a pretty fundamental deficiency. Pages handles tables reasonably well, but doesn't handle merged cells in word documents effectively.

In short, I haven't found a single word processing package for the iPad that is sufficient for a broad range of business needs. Which is a pity, because it has the grunt and speed to replace a desktop/laptop. It's just let down by the cut-down nature of the business apps.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
normanj said:

I use Pages quite a lot, but I also have Docs to Go, Office 2, and Quick Office installed on my ipad. They all have limitations when it comes to handling files and working on Microsoft Word documents. I keep chopping and changing between them for different uses.

Most of them are fine for producing or editing basic text documents or documents with text and graphics. They offer a limited amount of formatting when compared to Word and some lack some basic functionality like search and replace. All lack track changes, which, if you are using the iPad for business use is, in my view, a pretty fundamental deficiency. Pages handles tables reasonably well, but doesn't handle merged cells in word documents effectively.

In short, I haven't found a single word processing package for the iPad that is sufficient for a broad range of business needs. Which is a pity, because it has the grunt and speed to replace a desktop/laptop. It's just let down by the cut-down nature of the business apps.

Excellent points!! I agree, the lack of 'Track Changes' is a big problem for most business applications. Most of the other issues can be 'sort of' worked around, though it's certainly the case, as the poster points out, that there is a definite problem with complex formatted documents.

Tim
Scotland

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry for hijacking, (this may help the OP) but whats the best way to keep the formatting the same, to the best of pages ability??

I had a christmas list my GF sent me, it was a load of pictures and text boxes. In word it was fine. but opened in pages the pictures were in the complete wrong place and the text boxes had to be re-scaled.

Theres options within word to place the pictures and text boxes either behind text, in front of text, in line with text, tight and square.

so which one would keep this simple formating??

cheers.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry for hijacking, (this may help the OP) but whats the best way to keep the formatting the same, to the best of pages ability??

I had a christmas list my GF sent me, it was a load of pictures and text boxes. In word it was fine. but opened in pages the pictures were in the complete wrong place and the text boxes had to be re-scaled.

Theres options within word to place the pictures and text boxes either behind text, in front of text, in line with text, tight and square.

so which one would keep this simple formating??

cheers.

Do you need to be able to edit the document? I only ask because, if you only need to view it, then 'Save As' and PDF in Word. Then there'd be no problem in a PDF viewer on the iPad.

Have you tried saving it in either .doc or .docx? I've found that this makes a difference in the way 'Pages' displays the resulting document.

Sorry that these suggestions aren't really too much help!!

Tim
Scotland

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
no, no all suggestions are welcome!. I sort of adjusted within pages to make it readable.

The PDF is a good idea, so I'd probably use that for revision notes and such,
but I would like to edit some documents, so i'll try the .doc and .docx format.

I tried Docs to Go, Office 2, and Quick Office and they were awful at the formatting, so I thought it maybe something I was doing! pages was still quite bad but managable!

also has anyone tried using dropdav?? add the webdav to pages and then you can save directly into dropbox, I tried it but it kept saying 'unknown error' so prehaps there was a problem their end...

mygsds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Editing word documents

I was reading that Pages seems to work. Will this app let me receive a word doc in gmail on ipad open and edit and save and send back to origanl sender via gmail?
Pat

nemke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Office

You can try Office 365 as well (online browser version). It used to be free but it looks like they are charging now.

charlyee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mygsds said:
I was reading that Pages seems to work. Will this app let me receive a word doc in gmail on ipad open and edit and save and send back to origanl sender via gmail?
Pat
I use Docs to Go for this, works quite well.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

snowboarder8985

iPF Noob
Reaction score
addiosamigo said:
no, no all suggestions are welcome!. I sort of adjusted within pages to make it readable.

The PDF is a good idea, so I'd probably use that for revision notes and such,
but I would like to edit some documents, so i'll try the .doc and .docx format.

I tried Docs to Go, Office 2, and Quick Office and they were awful at the formatting, so I thought it maybe something I was doing! pages was still quite bad but managable!

also has anyone tried using dropdav?? add the webdav to pages and then you can save directly into dropbox, I tried it but it kept saying 'unknown error' so prehaps there was a problem their end...

Good reader let's you highlight and make written notes on PDF documents that you can then email back out.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

JonhEKP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another fairly simple method I use is with Beesy. At work is very useful, I import the Word on my iPad and outside the doc, I make comments, suggestions before sending my file to the person concerned.

Most reactions

Latest posts