What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Create a wifi hotspot

Status
Not open for further replies.

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In defense of the mods, if anything has to be 'circumvented' then that should tell us that whomever did this (phone companies, NOT apple) didn't want you to do it. To try to tether when its not part of the data plan, is a breach of contract (over here in the uk anyways) and as such could end with the phone company disconnecting you, sending you a massive bill or even blocking the phone/ipad.

To be so rude to the moderators is uncalled for, they don't get paid for helping us or providing this forum, and if you have brought every product apple has ever brought out then you of all people should know how 'locked' down their products are, and to even think you could tether unofficially without jailbreaking the iphone would be a very silly indeed.

Now to answer your question, you should use google, or as the iPad is unlocked you can put the sim card in the iPad (if it's a micro sim, (if not you can buy a microsim cutter) this has worked for me, obviously you lose the ability to receive calls and texts but works if your in a pinch.

Last edited:

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In defense of the mods, if anything has to be 'circumvented' then that should tell us that whomever did this (phone companies, NOT apple) didn't want you to do it. To try to tether when its not part of the data plan, is a breach of contract (over here in the uk anyways) and as such could end with the phone company disconnecting you, sending you a massive bill or even blocking the phone/ipad.

To be so rude to the moderators is uncalled for, they don't get paid for helping us or providing this forum, and if you have brought every product apple has ever brought out then you of all people should know how 'locked' down their products are, and to even think you could tether unofficially without jailbreaking the iphone would be a very silly indeed.

Thank you. Very much.:)

But let's squash this and get back on topic!

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Officially squashed! Well not officially... You know what I mean. :)

Attachments

• image-1901329616.png
    image-1901329616.png
    180 KB · Views: 197

KaiHD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think this all depends on the carrier, that's why it's a grey area. But as I KNOW tethering is FREE in my country, that means I can discuss it here right?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think this all depends on the carrier, that's why it's a grey area. But as I KNOW tethering is FREE in my country, that means I can discuss it here right?

Just to avoid any further confusion for everyone reading this thread, please consider the following as some general guidance and clarification on my statement...

Discussion of tethering is perfectly acceptable.

Discussion of jailbreak apps, such as MyWi, PDANet, etc. which are related to tethering is acceptable too, provided you are not trying to pirate those apps.

However, discussion of ways to enable a paid for feature, such as "Personal Hotspots" on IOS 4.3, without paying is at best a grey area and should be avoided.

My reasoning on this (right or wrong) is as follows. If a developer wants you to pay for an app, we don't support you trying to get that app for free here. If a carrier charges you to enable "Personal Hotspots" on IOS 4.3 we don't support you trying to enable this specific feature without paying.

Nothing about this entire subject is black and white / right or wrong, however our rules still need to be applied consistently which is what I am trying to do. Remember also, this is an iPad site, not an iPhone site. Everyone is very welcome to disagree and challenge, but this should be in the right way and according to the rules.

To get back on topic and address the OP's situation directly, without jailbreaking there is NO WAY to enable a wireless hotspot feature on your iPhone without paying your carrier. If you jailbreak, there are several paid apps which enable similar features, such as MyWi and PDANet both of which have trial periods. But you will not get any support trying to get those paid apps for free through piracy.

I hope that clarifies things. Let's move on! :D

Last edited:

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My original meaning by saying " there are ways around that" was referring to MyWi.

KaiHD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh I get it.... It's like stealing the service from the carrier, right? I wouldn't know much, because all carriers offer free tethering/hotspotting with unlimited data here in Malaysia.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
KaiHD said:
Oh I get it.... It's like stealing the service from the carrier, right? I wouldn't know much, because all carriers offer free tethering/hotspotting with unlimited data here in Malaysia.

Exactly right. Sounds like the carriers in Malaysia have a great tethering model! Wish we had that over here :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions