What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crazy question

Bonestar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello I don't know if someone else has asked this question. But I was wondering if theirs a way to wipe the OS off a ipad. leave it blank. I make custom OSs' and I would like to start playing with mac stuff, I've got a ipad off ebay for 50 bucks with a scratch but everything works fine. The only way I have seen is with the OS running. This would be my first time playing with a tablet, I've made touch screen OSs' before and would like to start playing with it again.
Anything would help thanks!

P.S I make my own OSs' from scratch

Last edited:

cwinter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is probably info out there but what you need is:

- Ability to freely write anything you want to the file system
- Documentation on the processor to understand how to address it and hence write an OS that properly addresses the processor. There is no "Developer Kit" that let's you write your own OS for the iPad, so it's all on you, baby!

The real question in my mind is "Why?". What are you trying to accomplish? There are certainly enough programming challenges out there that will most likely yield more useful and satisfying results.

OP
B

Bonestar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks!

I want to remove the system files altogether. I've done some research on the processor architecture. As for ''Developer Kit'' i've never used one, henceforth '' from scratch ''. Why beacuse its fun, some people fish, some watch football, everyone has a hobby. I've had mine since 96. As my dad said ''If there's a will there's a way. I was just hoping someone could just tell me but I'll figure it out, the things I've done and made would make people lol.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Afraid thats pretty much a non starter with apple ipad hardware. You have no way to put your own "OS" on there due to the various security measures and proprietary nature of the Apple chipset (even though its ARM based).
For a hobby, you either have to jailbreak iOS and enjoy hacking that like many of us do, or find another hardware platform which allows you proper unrestricted access.

Hope that helps, and good luck. You may like to google around for the various failed attempts to get Android running on the ipad1. That may give you an understanding of the challenges involved in getting past the bootloader stage to get any kind of alternative code running on there.

Last edited:
OP
B

Bonestar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good news I've removed it with some of my home brew, it was a large pain in the ass btw but thats part of the fun. I've put some some test boot home brew on and so far so good. Wish me luck!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good news I've removed it with some of my home brew, it was a large pain in the ass btw but thats part of the fun. I've put some some test boot home brew on and so far so good. Wish me luck!

Good for you. What do you compile your home brew with for the iPad platform, since you said you weren't using an SDK?

OP
B

Bonestar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good for you. What do you compile your home brew with for the iPad platform, since you said you weren't using an SDK?

I really wouldn't call the software I've designed to wipe drives a sdk. I really don't count stuff I design as as one

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I really wouldn't call the software I've designed to wipe drives a sdk. I really don't count stuff I design as as one

I was asking what compiler you use...? Unless of course you don't compile and link either.

Most reactions

Latest posts