What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

crazy ipad2

ipadfailnewbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PLEASE HELP!!

i have an ipad 2 which i generally just use as a giant ebook reader. The other night though when i went to use it it started highligting text, flipping pages, clicking apps and switching pages at the homescreen on its own. my ios is 7.1.1

also please note that there is a slight crack at the bottom of the screen. Crack has been there for months and problem just happened two nights ago.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have not already done so try a reset. Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple Logo appears. You should restart or reset your iPad at least once a month. Like most computers, it benefits from an occasional restart.

It's possible the crack has spread and caused damage to the digitizer layer (the part that detects touch). If that is true the only way to fix it will be a repair shop, either through Apple themselves or a third party (preferably Apple certified) . You could try repairing it yourself, but I don't recommend that unless you are used to repairing electronics and have a patient, methodical bent.

If you have an Apple Store nearby you can make a genius appointment and they will run a diagnostic. That much is free. If it's broke, they will quote the repair price for you.

Since it is an iPad 2 the repair cost is probably going to cost more than the device is worth. You'll probably be looking at buying a new iPad. If that's too much start looking into used iPads. Don't get another iPad 2. Even an iPad 3 will be a substantial upgrade. When buying a used iPad is is 'very' important to make sure the previous owner has removed their account from the iPad. This makes eBay and other online only sites risky except for the most dependable of sellers.

Good luck.

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have to disagree that repairing the iPad 2 may cost more than it's worth. Any reputable repair shop should be able to do it for $100, maybe less. Check your local classifieds / craigslist for repair services.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It will, of course, depend on what exactly is wrong with the iPad.

If you have experience with getting iPad's repaired, then I will defer to your judgement.

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I do repair iPad's and other mobile devices. I would agree that it is likely the crack in the screen that is causing the ghost touch issues. I usually charge $90 Canadian for the repair which is about average price in my neck of the woods.

Depending on what your use model is, iPad 2's still are quite useful. They still do most things that newer version's of iPads do, albeit a little slower in some cases. Unless the OP was thinking of upgrading then I think it would be worth repairing the device (assuming it is the broken screen causing the problem).

Most reactions

Latest posts