What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crash problem

moomelon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My ipad2 crashes frequently. Is this normal?

It's a 32Gb wi-fi only running 4.3.3. About twice every day it just crashes unexpectedly. It doesn't seem to be connected to any one app. Happens in Safari, YouTube, mail or any other apps.

The display goes blank with very fine vertical lines that quickly fade out to black. Then the White apple logo appears and it reboots. After about two minutes you are back to the normal password screen and then it'll be ok for a few hours.

I installed xsysyinfo to see if it helped but no change.

Is this normal or shall I send it back?

Thanks,

Paul

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My ipad2 crashes frequently. Is this normal?

It's a 32Gb wi-fi only running 4.3.3. About twice every day it just crashes unexpectedly. It doesn't seem to be connected to any one app. Happens in Safari, YouTube, mail or any other apps.

The display goes blank with very fine vertical lines that quickly fade out to black. Then the White apple logo appears and it reboots. After about two minutes you are back to the normal password screen and then it'll be ok for a few hours.

I installed xsysyinfo to see if it helped but no change.

Is this normal or shall I send it back?

Thanks,

Paul

This is definitely not normal!! You say you have XSysInfo installed - I'm assuming you've done a 'Deep Clean' - not that I'm expecting that to help particularly, but it can't harm anything!

I think this sounds like it needs to be returned to the Apple Store. I'd advise you though, if you decide to go this route and get a replacement, to 'phone in advance and get a 'trouble ticket' and check if they've got a replacement in stock. Several members have taken faulty iPads back to the store, the store has taken the iPad away and they've been left without an iPad for several weeks. If your iPad is useable it's probably best to wait until they have a replacement in stock before letting the store have it.

Tim

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim is dead on...that kind of behavior is not normal and you should return it for a new one. This kind of thing is pretty rare with Apple products (never in all of my years) but it happens. You shouldn't have any issues other than, as Tim mentions, possibly having to wait a bit. Let us know how things go!

OP
M

moomelon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually I hadn't tried 'Deep Clean'. The warning about it causing crashes seemed a bit counter-productive. I had 'Clean memory at launch' on but it didn't help.

Deep clean is now on so we'll see if it helps and post back result.

Paul

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually I hadn't tried 'Deep Clean'. The warning about it causing crashes seemed a bit counter-productive. I had 'Clean memory at launch' on but it didn't help.

Deep clean is now on so we'll see if it helps and post back result.

Paul

Deep clean recovers all used RAM, even that used by XSysInfo - so it removes itself from RAM - it's not really a 'crash'....

Tim

Reaction score
The red warning in XSysInfo is there, so that you don't turn on 'clean at launch' and 'deep clean' at the same time, unless you know what you are doing. Because that will result in a crash loop, where XSysInfo cleans the ram including itself, everytime XSysInfo opens and you can thus not use the app anymore, as it closes as soon as it gets opened. Which is great, if you want a quick memory cleaning solution, but not so helpful, if you want to use other parts of the app. ;)

Reaction score
A NORMAL crash is it just returns to the home screen. You've got something else going on and as posted above your ipad vshould be taken back .
If it were another platform I'd suggest removing some apps to find the rogue one but it is supposed to not be possible to have a rogue Apple app

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

Last edited:
OP
M

moomelon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are there 'log files' kept or that kind of thing? Maybe an app that could track what is happening at the point of the crash?

I take the point about supposedly being impossible to have bad apps but we have a large number of games apps on here (all the family shares one iPad). Maybe it could be one of them?

Just guessing I guess.

Paul

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's a long shot but you could sync your iPad and in iTunes uncheck any games or programs you added recently to uninstall them for the moment to see if it makes any difference. However based on your original post it sounds like there's actually something wrong with your iPad.

Reaction score
moomelon said:
Are there 'log files' kept or that kind of thing? Maybe an app that could track what is happening at the point of the crash?

I take the point about supposedly being impossible to have bad apps but we have a large number of games apps on here (all the family shares one iPad). Maybe it could be one of them?

Just guessing I guess.

Paul

Yes and no. There are log files kept, but only Apple has the software to read those. So if you wanted to find the root cause, you could visit an AppleStore, connect the iPad to one of their MacBook Pro's and then see, what their diagnostics tool finds. But as far as I know, is there no diagnostics tool available for the common user.

OP
M

moomelon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Part 2:

I took my iPad2 in to the apple store on London's Regent St today. I won't talk about the store itself except to say that it was an amazing experience just visiting!

I did a sync (not backup-mistake) before I left home.

The first thing they did was look at the 'behaviour history' which showed nothing unusual except xsyncinfo rebooting a lot. They accepted that this was my own attempt at a fix to the crashing although they did look a bit suspicious of it.

Their advice was to either reload the firmware or to replace the unit completely with a reconditioned ipad2. They are out of stock though so the support tech lady put one on order for me and reloaded the firmware as well. The idea was to see if the firmware replacement did the trick and if not then a new one is already on it's way.

Then just as I picked it up to leave it crashed! So at least it did it in front of them!

Now we're using the original and waiting to see if it keeps crashing. If so then we'll take the replacement. If that one crashes too then you'll be the first to know.

Thanks for all the help so far,

Paul

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
moomelon said:
Part 2:

I took my iPad2 in to the apple store on London's Regent St today. I won't talk about the store itself except to say that it was an amazing experience just visiting!

The first thing they did was look at the 'behaviour history' which showed nothing unusual except xsyncinfo rebooting a lot. They accepted that this was my own attempt at a fix to the crashing although they did look a bit suspicious of it.

Their advice was to either reload the firmware or to replace the unit completely with a reconditioned ipad2. They are out of stock though so the support tech lady put one on order for me and reloaded the firmware as well. The idea was to see if the firmware replacement did the trick and if not then a new one is already on it's way.

Then just as I picked it up to leave it crashed! So at least it did it in front of them!

Now we're using the original and waiting to see if it keeps crashing. If so then we'll take the replacement. If that one crashes too then you'll be the first to know.

Paul

Take the new one Paul, the old one is a definite lemon. :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
moomelon said:
Part 2:

Paul

Take the new one Paul, the old one is a definite lemon. :)

Agreed. If it's crashing on new firmware something else is up. The OP should take the replacement when it comes in.

OP
M

moomelon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Part 3:

Apple sent me an email saying that the replacement was in the store just three working days after I first went there about the fault. On the fourth day we had a new one (probably reconditioned but absolutely as new). Excellent service.

I had backed up and synced in the morning before I took the bad unit in for exchange so restoring should have been easy. For some reason itunes failed to restore any of my photos or apps. So I did that manually which took about an hour. Don't know why it failed the backup/restore, maybe something to do with the original fault? Maybe my bad?

But the good news is - 48 hours later - No Crashes! Will post if it does though.

Thanks again for your help getting this sorted out.

Paul

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad you are up and running. A tip about iTunes.....Disable auto sync. This gives you more control over what happens, and when. Fingers crossed for the new one :)

Most reactions

Latest posts