Cracked the ipad screen, got a free replacement from the apple store

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by p53, Apr 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Midranger4

Midranger4
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Accompanied someone to apple store. They dropped iPad2 on its corner. No screen damage but jammed volume button. Received no love or sympathy. Not even a rebate to buy the new iPad. Was told with new accidental damage plans available no more replacements unless manufacturer defect. Oh well....I did tell her numerous times to get a clamshell case. I was ignored. Today...she was ignored by Apple and I got the daggers when they did so!

Hey....I didnt drop it doll!

2. skimonkey

skimonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I hope she listens to your advice now, Midranger!

3. Midranger4

Midranger4
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    It was a half hour ride back from the store and all she did was hammer away at me and Apple for not understanding that the iPad should not have taken damage when dropped. I told her before we went to expect to be shot down and I was told I had no idea what I was talking about and that she wasn't leaving without a replacement.

Awkward......lol!

4. skimonkey

skimonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    For sure that was awkward-lol. She sounded very positive that she was walking out with a replacement of some kind. The reality of it all was probably hard for her to accept.

#514 skimonkey, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  5. Midranger4

Midranger4
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Oh and I seemed to forget to mention I could jailbreak her iPad and logically disable the volume switch effectively eliminating the permanent volume icon smack in the middle of her display and restoring volume control via the slider.

Maybe it will come to me.....nahhhhh

6. skimonkey

skimonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh that would be so mean, Midranger! ;)

7. Midranger4

Midranger4
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    If I am called an idiot I have no issue getting into character. *grin*

8. Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Wall of text. Wow. Haven't seen one of these in a long time. Not trying to dis on ya, but paragraphs would have been nice. As it is, it's hard on the eyes and I really had to force myself to read the whole thing through. Probably why nobody has commented on it until now.

Anyway, so WHAT if Apple gives you a refurbished unit instead of a "brand new" one? The point is it's a good, practically new working unit that has a beautiful screen free of cracks. Try this: tip your 50" big screen TV over, crack its screen and take it to Panasonic or Vizio and see if they'll give you anything for it, let alone another unit of the same make and model, new or even refurbished, in good working order, without a cracked screen for free or half the cost of a new one. With any kind of remaining original warranty. They won't. They'll just say "too bad, so sad" and suggest you buy a new one. It's all the same with ANY new product you buy...you break it, it's your loss. Apple really has proven themselves to be different by allowing some free or half-priced replacements on a case-by-case basis.

So what if the replacement you got is technically older than the unit you surrendered for it? Does it look and feel so old that you can really tell the difference? Again, you COULD have gotten shrugged shoulders and an "oh well...life's not fair". You see, Apple is NOT obligated to do this because you weren't careful with your stuff. But they do and that's refreshing. That doesn't make them saints but It shows me that they, to some extent, actually DO care about maintaining some goodwill with their customers.

In case you haven't noticed before: just about ANY product warranty is void the moment YOU damage an item. A warranty covers defects or damages caused by the manufacturer or their agents (the stores, etc). Just like the brand new 2012 Mustang you just bought...it depreciates the second you get possession of it and take it home. There is no real way to say for sure the damage you caused to the unit by dropping it didn't cause the defect that would otherwise normally be covered by the warranty. But some kind Apple reps have been known to say something like "oh, I see...the home button stopped working BEFORE the iPad was dropped, right?" (wink, wink) and proceed to make the switch. That's an act of generosity. Again, they could've said "awww, that's too bad" and left it at that, smiling and steering you over to the brand new devices.

"I think they usually only replace the screen, send you back your old IPad or else they send you one of the refurbished ones that just had a screen replaced and then they replace the screen on yours and then send it to join the other IPads in the warehouse.". Yep. I'm almost sure that's what they do. It's efficient and not wasteful. For many units the screen is the only thing that's wrong, or maybe the home button is broken...everything else is perfect. So? You think they'd take an iPad that, aside from the damaged screen or home button, is a perfectly good unit and just simply dump it in the trash just to unbox a brand new one for you? That'd be wasteful and irresponsible. It's because they can carefully inspect the perfectly good harvested parts from broken iPads and use them to fix other broken iPads that gives them the ability to offer free or cheap replacements in the first place. They could just as easily give you suggestions as to what you can do with your broken one; like use it as a door stop, a paperweight, a serving tray, etc. and save themselves the resources and manpower of fixing iPads up and shuffling them back out into the world. Maybe they make a little money out of doing that but in all likelihood it's probably closer to being a wash and a loss leader for them, in which case it becomes a good PR tool. Makes them look good and people still get to go home happy with a perfectly good working iPad...instead of tucking the broken one under an arm, sadly walking out of the store and contemplating what a nice paperweight it could be.

Sorry for your misfortune, but this seems to be much ado about sour grapes.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

#518 Mtnmedic, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  9. jncbankston

jncbankston
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    @Medic

Here, here!

Sent from Scooter, my White 32GB iPad, using iPF in Deutschland

10. Dennykrane

Dennykrane
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Hi
    Didn't think that the iPad2 was a year old from inception never mind 2 years old.

My son bought a jail broken iPhone 3Gs and bricked it by doing what he shouldn't like updating IOS,
    We took it to apple in Sheffield England and they tried all sorts and after an hour gave him a refurbished and unlocked replacement for free......not all Apple is bad, maybe peoples attitudes give the results you don't expect.
    My son asked for help, always admitted ignorance and won by being nice and non confrontational.
    After that I got 2 iPhones and an ipad2 and haven't looked back since.
    Is it me???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.