Cracked the ipad screen, got a free replacement from the apple store

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by p53, Apr 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jncbankston

jncbankston
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ski...pick me up in 30. Hahaha

Sent from Scooter, my White 32GB iPad, using iPF in Deutschland

2. KevinJS

KevinJS
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I was in the Apple store in West Edmonton Mall yesterday, and a very nice little Apple person came up to me and asked if she could help. I said that she could help me by persuading my wife (standing next to me) that I needed an iPad 3. She said "It's not called an iPad 3. It's just an iPad." Like that helps!!!

3. jncbankston

jncbankston
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    And they trained the employee to make that response. Mthe little details. Good luck w/ wifey...

Can always get a part time job and save for an iPad.

Sent from Scooter, my White 32GB iPad, using iPF in Deutschland

4. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Lol. Clearly someone whose sales skills need some polishing.

5. skimonkey

skimonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Got it, jnc...I'll hop on my electric scooter and pick you up In Deutschland!! :)

6. Good karma

Good karma
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Funily enough i was at the apple store today and a lady bought her ipad 2 with a nasty crack on it, and in front of my eyes it got replaced by another ipad2 for free, the replacement ipad2 was in a brown box so could not tell if was new or refurbished. It had the plastic wrapper on it and the box had no charger or cable connector. It was a straight swap as far as i could tell

RIP Steve Jobs 

7. mossfur

mossfur
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have had 2 ipads replaced at the Apple Store ,the first was a wi-fi problem and the second a drop on cement, at the store i told the rep that this was the worst day of my life and that i had flat out had a senior moment and dropped my beloved ipad on the pavement. In both cases i had the AppleCARE+ plan,which i am not sure was a factor,i think the honesty and respect i showed these reps helped some.

8. Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Good stuff. I had a similar experience back in December (though it was my cat that did the deed). You're right...honesty, politeness and sincerity helps and I think so to a great deal. I didn't even have AppleCare+ when I went to the Apple Store (3 hours away). How much they help with consumer-fault issues may vary from person-to-person and from store-to-store. But, in every case, being nice and being real about the matter goes a long way because I'm sure those folks deal with a lot of janky, rude and sometimes downright mean customers, not to mention all the usual work stresses. My mother was a waitress when we were kids and she used to say that although tips helped, she'd MUCH rather not get any tips and just have nice customers to deal with to make her long shifts go by easier. Ditto for me...if someone is polite, respectful and sincere, I'm more apt to do a little extra for them.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

9. Slimseven

Slimseven
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I received a replacement once for a very minor back light bleeding screen issue with no hesitation. The new one has none at all. They did the wright thing.
    I do get a little freaked out by those over zealous floor reps who speak into their shirt collars and like to preach hw the pc is dead. I know just how to push their buttons. I get a kick out of going there. They are just trying to do what's expected of them but it's fun to mess wit em. Not much else to say but it's a mega company who tries to act like a mom and pop general store. You gotta love that in this day and age. Don't expect free anything. Treat your stuff like 5 to 800. Electronics. Take precautions and don't expect free anymore. If your lucky maybe. They know everyone seems to expect it nw. It's a dam courtesy. Forget about it.

10. Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    They're working stiffs, trying to earn an honest wage to put food on the table, just like you and I. Regardless of what their bosses tell them to do and how to do it, there's no need to jerk them around. If you have an issue with Apple Corporation, take it up with Tim Cook and the Board of Directors. Your attitude is saying it's okay for a customer to take his/her frustration with your employer's company out on you. You wouldn't think it was fair. So why do you feel it's okay for you to do it? Try dealing with a lot of mean customers who expect the world to be handed to them on a silver platter just the way they like it every day and see how long your niceness and professionalism toward "good" customers continues.

Besides...they replaced your iPad based upon a WARRANTY issue, as per your purchase contract with Apple. The discussion thread here is about damages NOT caused by Apple, but rather the customer, as well as the replacements that may or may not occur as a result.

But you're right about two things:

1) don't expect free anything.

and

2) it's a courtesy replacement if the damage is the fault of anyone else other than Apple's

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

#500 Mtnmedic, Mar 11, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.