What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cracked screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

khundick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello,
while on a trip around the world, i bought a new iPad for my wife's birthday in london. while in madagascar, i dropped it and shattered the screen. my next stop will be thailand where we live. any suggestions on what to do??
of course i will go directly to an apple store in bangkok upon arrival. will apple honour my problem in thailand even tho i bought it in london??
i need some reassuring words...

thanks,
khundick

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's difficult to know how each country's Apple Stores react. For sure, in the US and Europe there doesn't seem to be a problem in the Apple Stores exchanging an iPad with a cracked or broken screen, even when the problem was caused - albeit inadvertently - by the user. It's an unofficial, goodwill, once-in-a-lifetime, gesture. But Apple Stores in Singapore seem to be more difficult. So far, we've not had any reports of the reaction in Thailand but I can't see why there would be difficulty. For sure, the warranty is world-wide but whether each of the Apple Stores knows about the unofficial, unacknowledged exchange policy is hard to know. Read the other threads posted by Members on their experience. You might need a little patience and gentle, polite persistence.

Tim

Jmellinger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's difficult to know how each country's Apple Stores react. For sure, in the US and Europe there doesn't seem to be a problem in the Apple Stores exchanging an iPad with a cracked or broken screen, even when the problem was caused - albeit inadvertently - by the user. It's an unofficial, goodwill, once-in-a-lifetime, gesture. But Apple Stores in Singapore seem to be more difficult. So far, we've not had any reports of the reaction in Thailand but I can't see why there would be difficulty. For sure, the warranty is world-wide but whether each of the Apple Stores knows about the unofficial, unacknowledged exchange policy is hard to know. Read the other threads posted by Members on their experience. You might need a little patience and gentle, polite persistence.

Tim

I wish you guys would quit telling people this. I received my ipad 2 as a christmas present from my husband. After
Accidentally dropping it and reading about the "replacement" under warranty we took it to our nearest apple store. We spent about an hour driving, waited another two hours for our "appointment" and another hour home only to find we could pay half price for a replacement? This is our very first experience with apple and the one and only apple
product we've ever had in our home. That being said it will also be the very last.

Sorry but everyone should be provided the same treatment.

June

Redneck_Randy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I wish you guys would quit telling people this. I received my ipad 2 as a christmas present from my husband. After
Accidentally dropping it and reading about the "replacement" under warranty we took it to our nearest apple store. We spent about an hour driving, waited another two hours for our "appointment" and another hour home only to find we could pay half price for a replacement? This is our very first experience with apple and the one and only apple
product we've ever had in our home. That being said it will also be the very last.

June

OH Your blaming Apple because you dropped your iPad and had to go through the process of getting service on it. To damn bad you bought one of the most popular products in the world and you had to wait for a bit. I think you need to throw it in the trash and stick with your windows PC's. Oh if you break a windows PC do you blame Bill Gates or Microsoft for it........ I bet you do.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

June

I am sorry. Did you call first? Before making that trip? I might have missed that part. What folks fail to understand is that is/was a courtesy replacement. Not a guaranteed courtesy replacement.

I will admit that reports have been as such that some are finding Apple has stopped being so courteous ~ people just come to expect it and what company that makes anything, will replace their product because of the consumer's fault?

parcas1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jmellinger said:

June

This - and similar threads on other forums - is getting irritating. I don't know if the whiners have reliable information that other suplies of laptpos, portables, cameras, etc give no-questions-asked replacements of items damaged by carelessness, but on my UK side of the Atlantic I guess the salesperson's response is going to be of the 'You want us to do WHAT...???' type.

Apple seems to have offered it as a courtesy and they get the drones going on big time about the unfairness of it all. I accept the point about apparent inconsistency, but it appears to be linked to national policies. And I hope Jmellinger gets a guarantee of replacement for careless handling with his new supplier - but I guess he will not

dMog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
why is so many people think they get afree ride in anyhting that they do wrong.... they break something(yes accidents happen) and expect someone else to tell them that is ok here is a free one don't worry if you break thatone too...as suggested above when you do not make an appointment to a BUSY place you should not expect to just walk to the front of line just "because" what ever happened to owning your problem and common courtesy and descncy. Ifyou have no insurance and your house burned down or your car was in in a horrible accident would you expect someoe to pay for all that out of their pocket too just "because" get real people... even if Apple offered you a 50% off on replacement price that is 100% more then they need to do..if they do more... or anything price wise for you count your belessing and be thankfull for once

Jmellinger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am sorry. Did you call first? Before making that trip? I might have missed that part. What folks fail to understand is that is/was a courtesy replacement. Not a guaranteed courtesy replacement.

I will admit that reports have been as such that some are finding Apple has stopped being so courteous ~ people just come to expect it and what company that makes anything, will replace their product because of the consumer's fault?

Actually, we really had no expectations until after reading about other cracked screens and the "one time courtesy replacements" in the forums.
I accidently dropped mine just like the others while it was under warranty......
We had no idea that we needed to make an appt until we actually arrived... We found something to eat,
came back to the store and sat playing Angry birds on my Ipad2 until it was our turn... We weren't rude, we did not get impatient but after realizing the time that we wasted, and the money we spent initially... Had Apple communicated that they had stopped this practice, we would not have gone through this at all...

At the very least, I have saved someone else a trip to the apple store in the hopes of getting their screen replaced. Now they know this practice is no longer available... In addition, I have also saved them the money they might have spent sitting and waiting for their appt...

As I said before, this was the very first apple product and will be the very last..
If Apple is still around in 10 years, we might reconsider but today it would be highly unlikely...

June

Jmellinger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OH Your blaming Apple because you dropped your iPad and had to go through the process of getting service on it. To damn bad you bought one of the most popular products in the world and you had to wait for a bit. I think you need to throw it in the trash and stick with your windows PC's. Oh if you break a windows PC do you blame Bill Gates or Microsoft for it........ I bet you do.

I see you are an apple fan... That's nice and that is your choice..
But I am not and that is my choice...

And no I did not vote for Obama as you suggest...
And I don't plan to vote for him this round either..

June

Jmellinger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Busy... Are you kidding?
The employee ration was 2:1
At one point I wondered why we were still sitting there as any one of them could have told us
"sorry but we don't do that anymore"... Instead of a two hour wait... we would have been on our way home five minutes after walking in the door...
And I will tell you the same thing I told a previous poster...

I did not vote for Obama as you suggest and don't plan to this time around either...

Jeez
June

Last edited:

Jmellinger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
why is so many people think they get afree ride in anyhting that they do wrong.... they break something(yes accidents happen) and expect someone else to tell them that is ok here is a free one don't worry if you break thatone too...as suggested above when you do not make an appointment to a BUSY place you should not expect to just walk to the front of line just "because" what ever happened to owning your problem and common courtesy and descncy. Ifyou have no insurance and your house burned down or your car was in in a horrible accident would you expect someoe to pay for all that out of their pocket too just "because" get real people... even if Apple offered you a 50% off on replacement price that is 100% more then they need to do..if they do more... or anything price wise for you count your belessing and be thankfull for once

Busy... Are you kidding?
The employee ration was 2:1
At one point I wondered why we were still sitting there as any one of them could have told us
"sorry but we don't do that anymore"... Instead of a two hour wait... we would have been on our way home five minutes after walking in the door...
And I will tell you the same thing I told a previous poster...

I did not vote for Obama as you suggest and don't plan to this time around either...

Jeez
June

Redneck_Randy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I see you are an apple fan... That's nice and that is your choice..
But I am not and that is my choice...

And no I did not vote for Obama as you suggest...
And I don't plan to vote for him this round either..

June

You got it all wrong dear. I started on MS PC's almost 20 years ago and my iPad is my first Apply product and I'm glad to hear you didn't vote for him. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions