What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crack in screen on iPad4, Help!

Capri142

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 4 has developed a bad crack in the glass screen, the screen is beginning to fall apart. It is that bad. It appears the unit was dropped on the corner. No one in the family will own up to the deed so I need to move on. Just wondering if this is something that is fixable, can it be replaced or is it time to buy a new iPad?

Thanks, Phil
in sunny and hot Florida

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My iPad 4 has developed a bad crack in the glass screen, the screen is beginning to fall apart. It is that bad. It appears the unit was dropped on the corner. No one in the family will own up to the deed so I need to move on. Just wondering if this is something that is fixable, can it be replaced or is it time to buy a new iPad?

Thanks, Phil
in sunny and hot Florida
It is fixable, but Apple will charge a fee equal to about half the the cost of the iPad for an out of warranty repair. You may want to consider upgrading. Whatever you decide, back up your iPad. A new or repaired iPad can be set up from the backup you made and nothing will be lost.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Hi Phil - as already stated (and assuming that you no longer have a warranty), a repair by Apple is rather costly - you might be able to find a local reputable computer shop dealing w/ Apple products that might be less expensive; of course, if you're ready to 'upgrade', then your choice.

The only other option is to try a repair yourself which would be your least expensive choice but certainly not guaranteed to work - if interested, take a look at iFixit, select your model, and look at the guide - likely rated as 'difficult' - see pic below from the site. Good luck - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2015-06-28 at 12.58.12 PM.png

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Check your local craigslist, kijiji or other classifieds for a local repair shop. Should only cost about $100 to have the touch screen replaced. 4th gen iPad still has plenty of years of use left yet.

OP
C

Capri142

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I looked at iFixit and that is quite a process and the cost to have Apple do it is out there so I think I will bite the bullet and just upgrade to a new iPad. I'll hold on to the iPad4 and someday, if I just don't have anything else to do for several hours, I may attempt to fix it myself. Thanks, Phil

Most reactions

Latest posts