Covering back camera activates cover lock

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by jubinell, Jan 2, 2012.

1. jubinell

jubinell iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi,

I'm new to this forum and tried to search for a similar thread to no avail. I recently purchased an Ipad2 with a case/cover that flips over to the back of the Ipad. My problem is that if I turn on the cover lock feature, the Ipad automatically locks when the case covers the rear camera. I can understand how this mechanism is triggered with the front camera, but the back camera as well?? Anybody has a fix for this?

Thank you in advance.

-Jubinell
  2. drb_52

drb_52 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    The auto lock is triggered by magnets in the smart cover. As far as i know, the cameras have nothing to do with auto lock. I don't have a smart cover, so I can't say exactly why your cover is causing the auto lock to engage. But, I put a magnet to the back of my iPad (along the side with the volume control & rotation lock) and the auto lock activated. So, is it possible you have the smart cover on backwards?
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  3. TheRambler

TheRambler Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +125 / 0
    That is exactly it drb_52, it's only possible to switch off when its magnet contacts the right hand side. If your cover is the wrong way round then it will switch off when flicked to the back......but by having it the wrong way round your metal hinge won't connect to the side very well.Try turning it round.
  4. superhoops

superhoops iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I have a folio type cover and find regularly that when I wrap the front of the case around the back of the ipad, to see the screen, it activates the screen lock. Almost as if the magnets are too strong.
  5. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    That was a common problem in third party covers introduced shortly after the iPad 2 came out. I'm somewhat surprised that the problem has shown up again simply because the various manufacturers figured out the problem early on and reduced the strength of the magnets. But it appears that everyone didn't get the memo.
  6. superhoops

superhoops iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Its a Tecknet cover, bought about three months ago
  7. leelai

leelai Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,355 / 0
    I have wondered when this one was going to come up. I have a black leather smart cover and it happens to mine and I don't have it on the wrong way round. It will only go off for a second and I even hear the click of the iPad turning off and then just as suddenly it comes back on. It doesn't happen all the time, it just seems to be totally random. It can go weeks without it happening and then off it goes again. So what do you think is happening? I'm all ears.

Sent from my iPad using iPF