What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cover

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I’m expect a new iPad 2 and need a new cover. I saw iPad Smart Cover - (PRODUCT)RED this cover for the iPad but it doesn’t specify iPad 2.

Wil it fit my iPad 2? My current cover is stuck on with their adhesive and I don’t want to pull the cover off and tear it.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since one of your recent posts in your other thread says you’ll get a 10.2 inch iPad, this cover won’t fit.

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you. I’ll keep lookin’ for it as I’m sure they sell it

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not too sure about that! On the order page it doesn’t say what generation iPad it is. The Smart Cover listed is for 7th generation. I’d assume that since they only sell that version, I’m the 7th gen but don’t want to assume anything.

If anyone has the link(s) for the Smart Cover I need, please provide them n

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
All my devices are registered with Apple and when I’m looking at an accessory such as a cover the Apple Store app will tell me if it is compatible with my device.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I great deal of the confustion going on is because you keep callng your iPad an iPad 2; both the old and the one you just ordered. iPad 2 referes to a specific model, the second model made; back in 2011 I think. There is no other iPad refered to as an iPad 2. None.

The iPad 2 had a 30 pin connector, a much heaftier build than any modle after the iPad 4, and won’t run any iOS verison beyond iOS 9 (if memory serves). Nothing that fit the old iPad will fit a new one. There is that big a difference. If your current iPad is running iPadOS 13, then it’s not an iPad 2. It might be an iPad Air 2. A very different beast.

The current iPad modle for sale (new from Apple) is a 7th generation iPad. It will sometimes be simply refered to as the new iPad. Anything you order for those will fit.

In another thread you tried to idenify your iPad using a part number. You ended up using the M series part nubers. These were not intended for public use, and so are difficult to pin down. A better part number is the A series part number. You can find this by going to Settings > General > About. Tap on the the Modle number to toggle between the M and A part numbers.

Find the model number of your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If you are using an older iPad with an older version of iOS, then you might find the model number under Legal & Regulatory instead of About. It’ was a weird place to put it.

You can then see what your iPad model and features are here: Identify your iPad model

I’m not trying to pick on you, and I hope I don’t come accross that way. Finding out and using the correct model for your iPad will help a lot when researching parts and asking questions here.

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you. When I bought this iPad it was listed as a new iPad 2. The model is A1822 and it’s a fifth generation iPad.

Research through the egg on my face shows that I have an iPad. Plain old iPad. The cover is for the iPad 2, the cords and adapters and other accessories are for, yup my, iPad 2.

I’m planning to contact Apple for a copy of my sales receipt. M

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, that’s a good thing in the end. A fifth generation iPad is worth keeping for another year or two, even if you have to leave it plugged in most of the time. If you bought it when you thought you were getting a lesser iPad, and the price was good, then ‘hurray’.

As for the 30 pin connector, there aren’t any good reasons to use it on new iPads. If you’re worried about the wear and tear on the USB-A to Lightning cable, third parties make sturdier cords, and they are far cheaper than the 30 pin adaptor. If you’re already stuck with the adaptor, that’s irritating, but not a good reason to add more complication to your setup. Well, in my opinion anyway.

The failure on Apple’s Lightning connector is usually the where the cable meets the connector. The actual connector is surprisingly sturdy. I’ve damaged more 30 pin connector cables over time (actully my Mom did) than I havre Lightning cable/connectors. Also, trading off wear and tear on an expensive adaptor over a cheaper cable doesn’t make sense to me. Or I’m just misunderstanmding the whole issue, as often happens.

Note: Just realized I’m mixing the cable and cover thread around. Sorry.

Most reactions