What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Couple of newbie maintenance questions...

MachThree

iPF Noob
Reaction score
a) How do you guys clean the ipad screen? Just a damp paper towel, or something fancier?

b) User guide says to charge the battery to 100% and then take it down to 0% once a month. Does this mean no charging the battery during that time, or can you, for instance, let it get down to 25%, then charge it back to 50%, then take it down to 0? I know plugging it into the PC's USB port causes it to charge a little (despite what the display says), so I just want to be sure I can do this during that time.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Zagg Invisible Shield on mine and clean it with Windex on a paper towel. Pretty low tech, but it works!

As far as the battery goes, what that means is that you can charge your iPad as necessary any time you want to no matter what percentage is left, but at least once a month, you should actually let it discharge until it shuts off. This isn't for battery maintenance as much as it is for re-calibrating the battery level indicator.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got in my iPAD box a large black cloth - just for that purpose. It works great. Clean it every night.
Regarding the charge, It used to be many many years ago, that there was a "memory for battery" that remembered the last level they were charged, and gradually they had less and less capacity.
Todays batteries, don't have that "memory" any more.

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Just a damp paper towel

Don't use paper towel!

A soft cloth like the sort they give you to clean your glasses is the way to go.

As for the dampness, there's enough moisture in your breath. Just breathe on that sucker, then gently wipe.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Heh I used to be scrupulous in keeping the screen clean, but have gotten very lazy of late. Best for me is a baby wipe ......lots around in the house atm.

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If those wipes have any kind of chemical in them I'd think twice about wiping an oleophobic screen with them. Soft cloth and breath is best.Even Apple says so.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OK but no noticeable degradation since May and should last until April now :)
Two year olds have very sticky fingers and breath alone won't shift it......

Bob Coxner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Microfiber cloth is the usual recommendation for all types of screens (tv, monitor, phone, iPad). Either breathe on the screen and wipe with the cloth or just simply wipe with the cloth, no moisture of any kind. You should be able to find them locally for $5 or less. Here's one from Amazon: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/High-Performance-Cloth-12-6-Inches/dp/B00006IBLQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1292703889&sr=1-2]Amazon.com: 3M(TM) High Performance Cloth, 12.6 x 14.2 Inches x 0 (32 cm x 36 cm x 0) (9027): Electronics[/ame]

Angela

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been using microfibre wipes for all my gadgets for years and never have had a problem with scratching.

I usually put a screen protector on things but am considering leaving my iPad bare. It's just so pretty i cant bring myself to put anything on it.

Trixster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Zagg as well. I use a eye glass cleaner cloth and spray bottle with few drops of baby shampoo and water. Works like a charm every time.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Paper Towels

are used regularly as an abrasive. They are the finest of the sandpapers and will ruin eye glasses, camera lenses, and iThingie screens. Use microfiber.

Most reactions

Latest posts