Could the iPhone 6 Seriously Affect iPad Sales?

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by Maura, May 13, 2014.

1. Maura

Maura
    Expand Collapse
    iPadForums News Team

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

BGR has some troubling thoughts for Apple today regarding iPad sales, and in particular, how they will be affected by the forthcoming release of the iPhone 6.

As BGR notes, iPad sales took a significant fall in the March quarter, and now Morgan Stanley analyst Katy Huberty is predicting further trouble ahead by drastically reducing her tablet growth projection for 2014 down to 12% from 26%.

BGR says that one possible reason for the sudden decline in tablet sales overall could be increased competition from cheap phablets, which Canalys has recently said are going through the roof.

With the new iPhone 6 expected to represent a significant upgrade from previous models, and with a bigger screen and lots of exciting new features, could users be tempted away from their iPads?

That remains to be seen, of course, but if the iPhone 6 achieves the spectacular sales expected of it, that could more than compensate for any decline in iPad sales.

Source:
    iPhone 6: iPad sales could take an even bigger hit | BGR

2. AdmiralAdama

AdmiralAdama
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Valid points all. I'm pretty attached to my iPad 2 and will hold on (hardware willing) for the next gen iOS tablet.

Re: iPhone 6 I hope $AAPL delivers on screen size. My failing 57 year old eyes need more real estate. Something along the lines of the HTC One M8 would be perfect, :)

AA

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

3. Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Even if the new iPhone will have a bigger size it will never affect the iPad sales because the iPad will always have the large screen to better use.

4. s2mikey

s2mikey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I agree. I have no idea how anyone actually gets anything done on a tiny phone screen. Maybe texting and calling. A few choice games are fine but the iPad is 100% more productive than any phone. IMO.

5. Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Exactly. But I believe that gaming will still be better in the iPad because there are some really good games that aren't available for the iPhone and that the large screen will always be a plus.

6. Mad_Maru

Mad_Maru
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I think projections should look into the purchases made every two years as many only change their device inline with contracts etc. hence I'm due the iPhone 6 and got iPad Air last year.

Sent from my  iPhone® using Tapatalk

7. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Just because you guys can't see it doesn't mean it won't happen. Put a larger screen on a phone and people may very well decide they don't need a tablet. Lots of younger people with big-screen phones can get all kinds of stuff done on that phone. And not everyone has poor up-close eyesight. I'm 56 (almost) and have very good up-close vision (not so good at a distance, though). I was reading 8.5 x 11 inch PDF pages just this morning on my 4S. Not my first choice, but I could get it done. Give me a 6-inch screen and it becomes all that much more plausible. Having said that, I still won't be giving up my tablet. But new folks who don't have a tablet and have more limited funds might decide they can skip the tablet. Just how it goes. It won't make much difference to Apple as long as it is their phone people are buying instead of their tablet.

8. Elux72

Elux72
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Depends on your usage habits. If you're a hardcore gamer or artist, the iPhone doesn't cut it. For everyday tasks, a bigger iPhone is a plausible alternative to the iPad. In any event, there are lots of other things for Apple to focus on other than the size of their devices.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

9. Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    A lot of people complain because the iPhone is too small. Yes apple should focus on the size.

10. Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Have more limited funds? iPhones are much more expensive than the iPad in the Philippines. The iPad will always still be the better device for me.