What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Could the iPad be an Insomniac’s Nightmare?

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
reading-at-night.jpg

CNN has a fascinating report today about the effects that the iPad may be having on your sleeping patterns if you like taking it to bed with you at night. Apparently the strong glow from devices such as the iPad might be fooling your brain into thinking that it’s still daytime, disturbing your sleep patterns and exacerbating insomnia. That’s the theory, anyway.
“That light can be sufficiently stimulating to the brain to make it more awake and delay your ability to sleep,” neuroscience professor Phyllis Zee told CNN, adding, “And I think, more importantly, it could also be sufficient to affect your circadian rhythm. This is the clock in your brain that determines when you sleep and when you wake up.”

The report mentions using your iPad to read in bed in particular, with the iPad possibly being more likely to disrupt your sleep pattern than a TV or a bedside lamp, as the iPad is much closer and shining its light directly into your eye when you focus on it.

However, the article goes on to state that there are many other factors that determine how sensitive a person is to artificial light at night-time. A farmer who works in sunlight all day long, for example, would be less likely to be susceptible than an office worker who is exposed to much dimmer light throughout the day.

The CNN article is at pains to point out that there has been no specific research done in this field on the iPad or on laptaps to date, and it also notes that several iPad owners contacted by CNN had told them that they enjoyed using the iPad to read in bed and had felt no detrimental effects to their sleep patterns whatsoever.
Apple, as usual, had no comment to make on the story!

By Maura Sutton, iPadForums.net
Source: Living With Technology - CNN

kevbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well.. Melatonin (the sleep hormone) is released in response to darkness.. Which has been the trigger for sleeping for 99% of human existence. Humans are "designed" (but of course not actually designed) to be awake during the day and sleep at night.

I think there is science behind it.. But it probably doesn't do much more than having your light turned on before bed. Turn the brightness down if reading before sleep. I think they even make glasses that only let in a certain light for before bed - not the ones that affect melatonin production

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
They really are running out of stories..... This "news" article gives a hypothesis, then states there is no evidence to back it up. Then gives non scientific testimony from "callers" that also speaks against the hypothesis.

That formula will give you an endless supply of meaningless "news"...

And Keybo... Some people do believe we are "designed", and it is fine to believe that.

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i worked night shift for years and would go into a total blacked out room and sleep fine intill about 1 or 2 .pm in the afternoon when i get to go to the bathroom and then i would have a problem getting back to sleep for about 20 mins or so time frame that my body would have to readust to the darkness again and then i sleeped to 5.pm and get up and get ready for work and leave around 8.pm for work at 9.pm time frame ...i get off work around 5.am and was in bed by 9.am in the morning ..

kevbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The connection between light and melatonin is one that is studied quite thoroughly. Yes, there is not one that that studies ipads. But sometimes in science, results need to be generalized. The ipad is a bright light source (remember, light has been studied and shown to inhibit melatonin production!) so there's no reason to think it wouldn't. But the debate has bren going on for ages. If you normally use a computer before night with no trouble, then don't expect the iPod to suddenly make you an insomniac.

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't had any issues, and I take my iPad to bed every night ('cause I usually charge it over night). The screen is very bright, but then I started using the iBook app for last and this can be dimmed to a level, where you easily fall asleep.....

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well sunlight and ipad light are very very different.

I always have mine at the dimmest setting, but I know it gets really really bright.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So CNN, a 60 watt bedside reading lamp is ok?

I giggle when reports play scientists on TV.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wait wait wait! This is great. The dude disconnected the light bulb INSIDE his refrigerator!

Robertt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There might be something to this but nobody knows until some testing has been performed.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There might be something to this but nobody knows until some testing has been performed.

I suspect there is something to it, but the same could be said of any light source, not just the iPad; the story about this product simply because it's a hot topic in the media right now.

Most reactions

Latest posts