What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Could the iPad 3 be Coming as Soon as Steve Jobs’ Feb 24 Birthday?

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
steve-jobs.JPG

According to a report on 9to5 Mac today, Apple is gearing up to launch the iPad 3 as soon as February 24, 2012, to celebrate what would have been the late Steve Jobs’ birthday. The news comes via Focus Taiwan and the Chinese Economic Times newspaper, which states that Apple has this very special anniversary celebration in mind. According to the newspaper,its information comes from Taiwanese manufacturers in Apple’s supply chain, who say that the first iPad 3 shipment could break the four million unit mark. As 9to5 Mac notes, if the iPad 3 actually does go on sale on February 24, that must mean that Apple will be holding an event to launch it fairly soon. Other clues that point to a February launch are reports that Apple’s preferred iPad manufacturer, Foxconn, has told its workers that they can only have five days leave during the Lunar New Year in 2012, and case manufacture CatcherTechnology has also told its employees that they will have to do overtime during the Lunar New Year celebrations. 9to5 Mac concludes on a hopeful note by saying that Apple has a track record of releasing products on Steve Jobs’ birthday in previous years, such as the Thunderbolt MacBook Pros this year, and the new Safari 4 beta in 2009.

Source: Report claims Asian suppliers scramble to meet special iPad 3 launch date: Jobs’ Feb. 24 birthday anniversary | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You gotta love all these rumors, I doubt that this one is true, let's see if it's going to come out on the 24th of February that means that Apple (if they stay true to the way they usually release things) will have to announce and show it in January and start taking preorders for the upcoming release. That means that a majority of people that just bought an iPad 2 for Christmas will be really upset, as a matter of fact it MIGHT be within the 30 day return window and Apple would get a lot of them back. You can accuse Apple of a lot of things but being stupid is certainly not one of them. I see NO upside to Apple doing this, Steve's birthday or not, just my 2¢.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Feel sorry for the Chinese workers if that's the case. No chance to go home to far flung family villages in five days, given poor travel options for those on limited incomes. New Year's is a big deal for Chinese families, like Christmas is for many other cultures.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Feel sorry for the Chinese workers if that's the case. No chance to go home to far flung family villages in five days, given poor travel options for those on limited incomes. New Year's is a big deal for Chinese families, like Christmas is for many other cultures.

Oh. Okay, then.

Not so cool....

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Another thing rumors like these are not good for Apple, there are a lot of people who want to buy iPad2's right now but if the new one is going to be out in less than rwo months well they may consider not pulling the trigger (I know I would wait).

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is why one does his research and learn. Knowledge is power. Even I know that Apple typically releases every year. So I think that the 3 will be out in the Spring, April, May...

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd wait, too, but because of Apple's production track record, not this rumor.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
b00bie said:
Another thing rumors like these are not good for Apple, there are a lot of people who want to buy iPad2's right now but if the new one is going to be out in less than rwo months well they may consider not pulling the trigger (I know I would wait).

I think that Apple probably love the rumours, people all over the world discussing their brand and what's coming next, all the advertising money in the world can't buy you that......and if it's wrong information, who are the only people who can't be blamed, why, it's Apple as they have said nothing.

The Archangel

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think that Apple probably love the rumours, people all over the world discussing their brand and what's coming next, all the advertising money in the world can't buy you that......and if it's wrong information, who are the only people who can't be blamed, why, it's Apple as they have said nothing.

The Archangel
Well there's a saying that there is no such thing as bad publicity, but something of this nature MIGHT make people put off a purchase....

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You could be right but they have been doing this for years and I'm sure they will have made plans in their production outputs and stock levels. But this kind of (non)marketing is what drives the queues on release day, rumours just help to hype the tension levels.

The Archangel

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The rumors have not stopped them buying iPads for Xmas in Australia. In our stores iPads and iPods were number one Xmas purchase funny thing was mid range laptops around $700 were slow Nintendo was dead quite same with wii box and playstation. What we are seeing is new customers have done their homework and understand that Apple will release a new iPad with in next 3 months and did not care. The new Samsung galaxy 10" tab went on sale 2 days ago as they won the law suite here but it was a non event. We did not sell any at all the only tablet they wanted was the iPad. Apple gains publicity from rumors plus their marketing machine works No other it manufacture comes close so they just sell products non stop.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Three months is a long time when you want a new toy. And it's hard to give someone a Christmas raincheck, lol.

Most reactions

Latest posts