What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Copying contacts from iPhone to iPad

noddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've done a Google search for this and found various websites, explaining how to do this, but for some reason I cannot get it to work!

The most common one I found was to plug in iPad- select "info" from iTunes, then tick ''sync contacts''. It then says to select "selected groups" then "iPhone". Trouble is, the selected groups option is greyed out and I can't select it!

Any help would be appreciated.

Videographer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've done a Google search for this and found various websites, explaining how to do this, but for some reason I cannot get it to work!

The most common one I found was to plug in iPad- select "info" from iTunes, then tick ''sync contacts''. It then says to select "selected groups" then "iPhone". Trouble is, the selected groups option is greyed out and I can't select it!

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm not quite sure what you found out on the Internet, but if everything on your iPhone is in iTunes on your computer, then you should be able to sync everything when you connect your iPad to iTunes, except I think apps that are dedicated to the iPhone.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The better solution is to sync both your iPhone and iPad to Google for contacts. That way no matter what device you make changes on the other device will be updated in a timely manner (not waiting for a physical sync).

To setup Google Mail with contacts on the iPhone and iPad follow these instructions. Start with the device that has the contacts on it, and make sure it syncs before adding the other.

http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=138740

Pay attention to prompts and the order you do things, or you'll end up with duplicates. Not a big deal. Google Contacts' web site interface has tools to deal with that.

Come Fall the iCloud service may make this unnecessary. But until then Google is the best (free) service I've found for keeping contacts and events synced.

Most reactions