What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Copy to computer

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How can copy my apps from my iPad to my authorise computer?9
iPad apps were meant to be used in an iOS device, not your computer. You can't really "copy" the apps to your computer because there is no need to do so. Your iPad apps are forever linked to the Apple ID that was used to install them, so there's no need for backups of those apps.

OP
pritom.whoami

pritom.whoami

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there anyway to copy the installed apk file on my comp?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The only way to "copy" apps to your computer is via iTunes. iTunes has to be authorized for your Apple ID and the computer has to be one of five authorized for your account.

Then, you simply connect the iPad to the computer, open iTunes and, when the iPad appears, you can either choose to transfer purchases or to sync the iPad. iTunes will do its "magic" and you will then have moved the apps over to the computer.

Do note, however, that you can't USE the apps on the computer/iTunes - it's just a storage point for them. They are only designed to run on your iDevice on your Apple ID.

Last, if you've never connected your iPad to a computer/iTunes before, you will want to to the 'transfer purchases" step. If you sync your iPad to an empty iTunes, you'll end up wiping your iPad and so you will have to go back to the AppStore and re-download them. It won't cost any more money to do so, but it will be a huge time sink (not to mention that you'll lose all your app data such as game progress).

Hope this helped. Let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The only way to "copy" apps to your computer is via iTunes. iTunes has to be authorized for your Apple ID and the computer has to be one of five authorized for your account.

Then, you simply connect the iPad to the computer, open iTunes and, when the iPad appears, you can either choose to transfer purchases or to sync the iPad. iTunes will do its "magic" and you will then have moved the apps over to the computer.

Do note, however, that you can't USE the apps on the computer/iTunes - it's just a storage point for them. They are only designed to run on your iDevice on your Apple ID.

Last, if you've never connected your iPad to a computer/iTunes before, you will want to to the 'transfer purchases" step. If you sync your iPad to an empty iTunes, you'll end up wiping your iPad and so you will have to go back to the AppStore and re-download them. It won't cost any more money to do so, but it will be a huge time sink (not to mention that you'll lose all your app data such as game progress).

Hope this helped. Let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

I stand corrected. Thank you, Mickey330! :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
How can copy my apps from my iPad to my authorise computer?9

Now Marilyn has (as usual) given a clear and concise response to backing up iOS apps to a computer via iTunes - NOW, I'm still not sure if the OP wanted to simply know the answer to this 'usual' question or whether an iOS app can be run on a computer w/ a different OS (whether OS X, Windows, or a Linux clone)? Now, software exists (Parallels, VMware, maybe others -not sure) to run Windows & Mac programs on other HD partitions; SO, is anything available to run iOS apps on these machines w/ a different OS - I'm just thinking here - of course, the first question is why would you want to run an app from a less 'robust' OS on an OS X or Windows computer? Wondering - Dave :)

(P.S. I have no interest is this option - ;))

Most reactions

Latest posts