What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Copy photo albums

Elephantrhino

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a way/an app that enables copying of whole photo albums from one iPad to another, basically across family members?

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That's what cloud apps like Dropbox are for. Upload once, then send the URL to others. They can view online, then choose whether to download to their own devices.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That's what cloud apps like Dropbox are for. Upload once, then send the URL to others. They can view online, then choose whether to download to their own devices.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

That's right, also files which are too big to email can be shared via a cloud.

BTW, your post caught my eye, Lanny. I was reading a short article in a society journal about cloud provision by numerous providers, such as Google. The society webmaster, who wrote the article, likes Dropbox the best.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
E

Elephantrhino

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm familiar with Dropbox but I'm explicitly looking or a photo album duplicate tool. Find it surprising there doesn't appear to be one.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm familiar with Dropbox but I'm explicitly looking or a photo album duplicate tool. Find it surprising there doesn't appear to be one.

Hello Elephantrhino - welcome to the forum! :) BTW, I'd love to see the combination of an elephant & a rhino - :D

From your response above, I assume that you would like an app that allows you & your family to just exchange photos (or albums) directly between devices, e.g. you are sitting on your couch w/ an iPad and your sibling is next to you w/ their iPad (or other iDevice), and you simply want to exchange the photos wirelessly - correct?

An app that I have on my iPad2 is PhotoSync (INFO HERE) which allows me to exchange photos between my device & laptop computer; I've never tried what was described in the previous paragraph; BUT take a look @ the link to see if it may work for you (cheap enough) - good luck and please post back - might be useful to others!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Albumes (other than the very limited ones created directly in Photos) are synced through iTunes. You could use an app like PhotoSync (no hyphen) to copy an entire albums to another iPad, but it would place the pictures in the camera roll. Only iTunes can create true albums in the Photos app (ones that actually store the pictures).

An alternative is the new Shared Photo Stream feature. You can use this to share photo collections between any number of iOS users, as well as between your devices. The advantages of doing it this way:

• Updates automatically when wi-fi or internet are available.
  • It shares only the photos you want to share.
  • Photos are downloaded locally for viewing offline.

iCloud: Using and troubleshooting Shared Photo Streams

Or, if you get the iPhotos app, you can build and share Journals.

iPhoto for iOS (iPad): Create a journal

I'm sure there are other, even better, third party options, especially if you are not concerned with offline viewing; but this is what Apple offers.

Most reactions