What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

copy dvd to ipad- not digital?

Missmouse3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ive been reading a little about how to copy a dvd to ipad. I see the dvd has to be a digital copy - Im a little confused here - are most dvd's analogue then? I always thought they were digital from the onset?
is there not an easy way to simply plug ipad into the computer, copy the dvd to computer & simply click send to ( ipad)?

ipad is such a clunky piece of hardware compared to pc's!

OP
M

Missmouse3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ok, I see I need a program to copy a dvd to ipad but Im a little confused here ; doesnt "DVD" stand for "DIGITAL versatile disc"? & if so doesnt that mean stuff is recorded on them in digital format?
Why then do i need a program to "convert" them to digital format when they are already in digital format - Or are they actually in analogue format?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Who knows where the term came from - it is not accurate. You need to follow the method given to get a DVD movie to your iPad.

OP
M

Missmouse3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
hmmm , ok, thats a little confusing for a nowbie but never mind! Ive now downloaded handbrake on my pc, inserted a dvd I wish to copy to ipad ( "ghost protocol") which I have recently purchased legitimately,- its not a pirate! But it tells me it cannot read this when I try to select the source!
Anyone know anything about this program? - perhaps there is another better one that is easier to use?:(

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Get makemkv. Use that to make an mkv file, then run it through handbrake using the iPad preset. You will get an mp4 or m4v file. Transfer that to your iPad.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What you are doing is taking all of the appropriate files from the DVD and converting them while combining them into a format useful to the iPad. Yes DVDs store the information digitally, but so does Word, iBooks, Adobe, Garage Band etc and yet they cannot read each others file types.

OP
M

Missmouse3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok thanks guys but this is way over my head! I'll just take my portable DVD player on my holidays

It's way to much hassle to copy movies to ipad!

Mojosodope

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's not a hassle....I have DVD catalyst and it takes all of about 10 min to put on my iPad you literally just put in the DVD and hit a button

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok thanks guys but this is way over my head! I'll just take my portable DVD player on my holidays

It's way to much hassle to copy movies to ipad!

Too much hassle for you. Simple for us.

OP
M

Missmouse3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well I guess so! But I'm not a programmer!
maybe someone will bring out an easy to use program for ipad where all you do is plug it into your PC, insert a DVD & click "copy". hey, a bit like a PC!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Missmouse3 said:
maybe someone will bring out an easy to use program for ipad where all you do is plug it into your PC, insert a DVD & click "copy". hey, a bit like a PC!

Most of us aren't programmers either, just well informed users who picked up our knowledge by visiting and participating in forums like this one, as well as experimentation on our own. Many of us, if we discover something new about the operation of our iPads, will post it in these forums and others like it. If you stick around long enough, you will pick up enough info to become an expert in your own right.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

All you had to do is get makemkv, put in the DVD, let is scan it. It would then make an MKV file. then you drag that into handbrake and it would create the iPad file. It can't get much easier. Well, it can actually, just rent the movie on iTunes....or get a sub to netflix or join Amazon instant.

Most reactions