What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Copy Documents Directly

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Glad to hear that. I was really surprised when you said you were going to be on iOS 4.x. It is hard to imagine an iPad 2 living this long without at least a few updates.

I believe you mentioned that you have a Mac. In that case the Image Capture app in the Applicatons folder will download pictures from the iPad to the mac. You still need to plug into the USB port on the Mac, but you don't have to launch iTunes. If iTunes does launch, select the iPad in iTunes, go to the first tab, and turn off the automatic launch and sync. I can get more detailed if necessary.

It will probalby ask you to sync the first time. Just say no.

There are other, wi-fi methods to transfer files, but they require an app. Given what you want to do, a small selection of apps would be handy. For instance the PhotoSync app on both the iPad and Mac (by touchByte(sp?)) makes moving pictures back and fourth much easier.

OP
WWII Historian

WWII Historian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Again twerppoet!

Thanx for the reply. Yes I do have a few Mac Pro desktops but I've stayed in much older operating environments in order to maintain expensive software. Actually I use a Windows PC (Windows 7) as an everyday workhorse. I've read up on capturing/launching/extracting iPad2 Photos connected directly to the PC. We'll see how it goes ....

Thanx Again
Mike

Last edited:
OP
WWII Historian

WWII Historian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello twerppoet!

SUCCESS - Photos COPIED Directly with connection and recognition accomplished from iPad2 to 'Windows Desktop' using Windows 7 no need to install 'Windows Essentials'. It would appear Apple and Windows 7 work together.

Thank You All
Mike

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Awesome.

For those that may wonder how it works:

Windows isn't much harder than using Mac OS. Windows treats the iPad pretty much the same as a camera's media card, with the pictures showing up in a DCIM folder or subfolder. Depending on your media type settings Windows might even open an image import/library app automatically.

OP
WWII Historian

WWII Historian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"Windows might even open an image import/library app automatically"

Yep - I got an Apple iPad2 prompt to allow access for import and 'Wallah', there were the photos - no App necessary.

Thanx again my friend!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts