Copy Documents Directly

Discussion in 'iPad Air 2 Forum' started by WWII Historian, Mar 16, 2017.

1. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Oh, as far as Windows goes, you can get the basic Office Suite on the iPad: Word, Excel, PPT. You can run it with most features enabled for free, with a free Office 365 account, on 9.7" and smaller iOS devices. You have to pay for the account to use it on the larger 12.9" iPad Pro, and/or get all the features on the smaller devices.

Also available are OneDrive and OneNote.

If you are using Office 365 on a computer, it's fairly easy to keep your iPad synced.

I don't use OneNote, but I occationally use of the Office apps (with a paid account). They are not quite the powerhouses they are on a desktop, but all the key features, capabilities, and compatibilies are there.

2. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Well, I wouldn't recomend the cheaper Kindle Fires for any serious work. Amaozon has optimized the UI on these devices for consumption; specifically, consumption of Amazon's products.

I'm pretty sure you can get the Microsoft Office suite in the Google Play store (for most Android tablets), but on Amazon's apps store all I can find are OneNote and OneDrive. That means you'd have to edit any documents using a third party office app. Those exist, but they always have some level of compatibilty issues. Also, the more affordable Kindle Fire devices are kind of small for editing documents.

If all you want is to read documents, the OneDrive app should let you sync documents between the Kindle and computer with minimal problems.

On the other hand, if all you want to do is view PDF and Microsoft documents, you should be able to do that with the Documents app I mentioned earlier. I believe it is still compatible with the iPad 2 and iOS 9.

3. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Is there any special reason why you don't want to update your iPad? That would require connecting to iTunes on your computer as OTA updates didn't become available until 2011.

4. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Ah, I missed the iOS 4.3 part. There is very little you can do with that old a version of iOS.

The version of Notes in iOS 4.3 is extremely simple. About all you can do is type and keep text. You're not going to be able to inport, export or store any other document type in the Notes app. Finding any app that will do this on iOS 4.3 would be a minor miracle. There were apps, but almost all of them left iOS 4.3 compatibilty behind years ago.

In that case, even the Kindle Fire would work better.

An Android tablet that uses the Google Play store would work better than the Kindle Fire; Samsung or a Nexus perhaps. Most Android tablets have access to the Google Play store. The Kindle Fire uses Amazon's own app store, which is more limited. Think Walmart vs your corner convinience store.

Though if you are going to buy a new tablet, then an older iPad Air would certainly do everything I've described so far, though I tend to discourage buying older devices. They are out of date that much faster.

5. WWII Historian

WWII Historian
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    GREAT NEWS MY FRIENDS! :D

I recieved the iPad2 today (Like New) Turns out it does have OS9 after all! I jumped right in and its working fine! For $100 bucks can't go wrong using it as hoped checking email from 'GMail' server saving a few web pages and snapping a few pictures. :cool:

Still avoiding Apps. (if I can do this myself). Able to connect iPad2 directly to PC and will take a look at directories.

BTW I picked up a NEW Logitech Blue Tooth Wireless Mini Keyboard (with case & stand) for $10 FREE shipping!

My apologies for putting all you guys thru hoops - the seller incorrectly listed 'older OS'
    No worries now ....:rolleyes:

Thanks Again!
    Mike

#15 WWII Historian, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  6. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Glad to hear that. I was really surprised when you said you were going to be on iOS 4.x. It is hard to imagine an iPad 2 living this long without at least a few updates.

I believe you mentioned that you have a Mac. In that case the Image Capture app in the Applicatons folder will download pictures from the iPad to the mac. You still need to plug into the USB port on the Mac, but you don't have to launch iTunes. If iTunes does launch, select the iPad in iTunes, go to the first tab, and turn off the automatic launch and sync. I can get more detailed if necessary.

It will probalby ask you to sync the first time. Just say no.

There are other, wi-fi methods to transfer files, but they require an app. Given what you want to do, a small selection of apps would be handy. For instance the PhotoSync app on both the iPad and Mac (by touchByte(sp?)) makes moving pictures back and fourth much easier.

7. WWII Historian

WWII Historian
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Hello Again twerppoet!

Thanx for the reply. Yes I do have a few Mac Pro desktops but I've stayed in much older operating environments in order to maintain expensive software. Actually I use a Windows PC (Windows 7) as an everyday workhorse. I've read up on capturing/launching/extracting iPad2 Photos connected directly to the PC. We'll see how it goes ....

Thanx Again
    Mike

#17 WWII Historian, Mar 19, 2017
  8. WWII Historian

WWII Historian
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Hello twerppoet!

SUCCESS - Photos COPIED Directly with connection and recognition accomplished from iPad2 to 'Windows Desktop' using Windows 7 no need to install 'Windows Essentials'. It would appear Apple and Windows 7 work together.

Thank You All
    Mike

9. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Awesome.

For those that may wonder how it works:

Windows isn't much harder than using Mac OS. Windows treats the iPad pretty much the same as a camera's media card, with the pictures showing up in a DCIM folder or subfolder. Depending on your media type settings Windows might even open an image import/library app automatically.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. WWII Historian

WWII Historian
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    "Windows might even open an image import/library app automatically"

Yep - I got an Apple iPad2 prompt to allow access for import and 'Wallah', there were the photos - no App necessary.

Thanx again my friend!

#20 WWII Historian, Mar 19, 2017