What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Copy Documents Directly

WWII Historian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Gang

I have an older iPad2 and have explored several ways to transfer files. One simple method is to use the 'Apple Lightening USB Connector' and a 'Powered Bus' This method appears to be the most direct. My question is will the OEM OS in the iPad2 enable recognition of simple Windows 'Notebook' files? Or will I have to use the Windows iTunes method and the iPad App 'Pages'? (Trying to avoid the extra hoops).

Thanks Guys!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
iOS has no central file directory such as the Windows operating system has. Files would have to be imported to an app that can read them and will only be readable in that app and not system wide. If Pages can read the files you want to import, that would be one way to go.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are two basic types of Kindle devices; the dedicated book readers and the Kindle Fire tablet. Is the Kindle Fire what you were thinking of? Kindle Fire - Wikipedia
It runs a customized version of Android. I'm not familiar with it and can't say for sure whether it would satisfy your needs.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is the native Notes App built into the iPad. If you use iCloud, you can see your notes across other IOS devices you are signed into, as well as Macs or you can use it as a stand alone App.

OP
WWII Historian

WWII Historian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello There Jupiter! You mentioned "native Notes App built into the iPad" So then there is an existing 'primitive' program within the iOS 4.3 in the iPad2 that will save itself in a folder somewhere? That's great - its all I was asking for. And I wonder if I could copy a particular 'native note' and paste it in my Windows PC? Or perhaps better yet send it as an attachment to myself to my PC where I could then save it sometime as a recognizable file? You guys are very helpful thank you!

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can copy, send via Mail or Messages and print any individual note. However, you couldn't copy and paste across to your Windows PC, as you can with the newer IOS and Sierra on a Mac.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you use the iCloud Dive service you can have something that is almost a file system. But, you pretty much have to purchase extra iCloud storage. The free 5GB tier runs out fast when you're trying to store both backups and documents. The first tier ($0.99 US) a month gives you 50 GB, which is probably enough for most users.

From my experience the best way to use iCloud Drive as a general storeage space is to use an app that acts as as document provider. These apps make it easier to copy to their space, from their space, or if the other app premits it to even edit documents without moving them from the primary app. My prefered document provider app is Documents by Readdle.

That said, it's still not exactly like having a file system. You have to need a few tricks and tips to use it efficiently.

Anything in iCloud Drive is online, as well as on the iPad (similar to DropBox), and you can access it from a computer browser at icloud.com. Not as fast and smooth copying files, but usable. Documenta aslo has a few other methods of copying files to/from a computer.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
BTW, I have both the Kindle Paper White and the cheapest Kindle Fire. I use them for almost nothing beyond reading eBooks and/or storing reference documents, but if you have specific questions I can take a look.

Uncessary background:

I got the Paper White because I wanted something light to read some study material. I'm working on upgrading my amateur radio license. I'm also playing around with it as a portable reference library for the hobby. This is possible because Amazon lets you upload personal documents to your Kindle account.

The Kindle Fire I got because my old (original) Nexus 7 is now unusably slow. I like to keep at least one Android device around to see what's happeing. This probalby wasn't the best choice for that, since it's not pure Google Android, but at less than $50 I can afford less-than-perfect.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Oh, as far as Windows goes, you can get the basic Office Suite on the iPad: Word, Excel, PPT. You can run it with most features enabled for free, with a free Office 365 account, on 9.7" and smaller iOS devices. You have to pay for the account to use it on the larger 12.9" iPad Pro, and/or get all the features on the smaller devices.

Also available are OneDrive and OneNote.

If you are using Office 365 on a computer, it's fairly easy to keep your iPad synced.

I don't use OneNote, but I occationally use of the Office apps (with a paid account). They are not quite the powerhouses they are on a desktop, but all the key features, capabilities, and compatibilies are there.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Again - Yes I was asking if a 'Kindle' might be more powerful than an iPad as far as trying to get something close to the capabilities of a Laptop? Definitely not for reading ...The Kindle has a 'Micro Port' and it seems it might be able to open Note Pad & Word Docs? Anyway, I'm stuck with this used iPad2 for now .... Thanks again my friend!

Well, I wouldn't recomend the cheaper Kindle Fires for any serious work. Amaozon has optimized the UI on these devices for consumption; specifically, consumption of Amazon's products.

I'm pretty sure you can get the Microsoft Office suite in the Google Play store (for most Android tablets), but on Amazon's apps store all I can find are OneNote and OneDrive. That means you'd have to edit any documents using a third party office app. Those exist, but they always have some level of compatibilty issues. Also, the more affordable Kindle Fire devices are kind of small for editing documents.

If all you want is to read documents, the OneDrive app should let you sync documents between the Kindle and computer with minimal problems.

On the other hand, if all you want to do is view PDF and Microsoft documents, you should be able to do that with the Documents app I mentioned earlier. I believe it is still compatible with the iPad 2 and iOS 9.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is there any special reason why you don't want to update your iPad? That would require connecting to iTunes on your computer as OTA updates didn't become available until 2011.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ah, I missed the iOS 4.3 part. There is very little you can do with that old a version of iOS.

The version of Notes in iOS 4.3 is extremely simple. About all you can do is type and keep text. You're not going to be able to inport, export or store any other document type in the Notes app. Finding any app that will do this on iOS 4.3 would be a minor miracle. There were apps, but almost all of them left iOS 4.3 compatibilty behind years ago.

In that case, even the Kindle Fire would work better.

An Android tablet that uses the Google Play store would work better than the Kindle Fire; Samsung or a Nexus perhaps. Most Android tablets have access to the Google Play store. The Kindle Fire uses Amazon's own app store, which is more limited. Think Walmart vs your corner convinience store.

Though if you are going to buy a new tablet, then an older iPad Air would certainly do everything I've described so far, though I tend to discourage buying older devices. They are out of date that much faster.

OP
WWII Historian

WWII Historian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GREAT NEWS MY FRIENDS! :D

I recieved the iPad2 today (Like New) Turns out it does have OS9 after all! I jumped right in and its working fine! For $100 bucks can't go wrong using it as hoped checking email from 'GMail' server saving a few web pages and snapping a few pictures. :cool:

Still avoiding Apps. (if I can do this myself). Able to connect iPad2 directly to PC and will take a look at directories.

BTW I picked up a NEW Logitech Blue Tooth Wireless Mini Keyboard (with case & stand) for $10 FREE shipping!

My apologies for putting all you guys thru hoops - the seller incorrectly listed 'older OS'
No worries now ....:rolleyes:

Thanks Again!
Mike

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts