What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Converting Movies resolution question

OP
L

Lifet1me

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Follow the optimal settings to get excellent playback quality(I ripped my DVDs to iPAD).
Video: Codec: H.264 Size: 1280*720 or 768*576BitRate: 4000kbps FrameRate: 30.00fps
Audio:Codec: AAC SamplerRate: 48000hz BitRate: 128000bps Channel: 2

Maybe you can try this:
Video: Codec: Xvid Size: 640*480 BitRate: 2000kbps FrameRate: 30.00fps
Audio:Codec: AAC SamplerRate: 48000hz BitRate: 128000bps Channel: 2

I use Pavtube.PavTube product is a real "Swiss Knife"
website: Pavtube Blu-ray/DVD Ripper - Professional Blu-ray/DVD Ripper and Convert DVD to iPad/iPod/iPhone

i currently follow the exact stettings of your You can try this except usong Mp4 instead of xvid (which proberly is the same, i dont know)

Maybe i try pavtube with the stettings you used for DvD to give it a last try, but got small hope since i hit my system and drives with a lot of encoders and stettings days long. Now my system is kinda broken down and im kind of fed up with all the converting which fails.

Anyway thanks for the hint.

After all im thinking about selling my DvDs and buy the movies directly from itunes, which doesent look smart, i know, but i dont have to bother about converting. I will buy a Movie from itunes i already got on DvD, then compare the itunes version with the DvD and the Converted file. Then i will decide what im going to do.
Again i cant try it out before May 28th, the day of the ipad release here in Germany.

Last edited:
OP
L

Lifet1me

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the AV Component cable since yesterday now.
Load up a movie as mp4 to the IPhone and compared it to the DvD.
The quality is suprisingly good, the only problem is when the camera scrolls or the movie zooms (camera flys through a corridor for example) it stucks shortly, not a smooth flow.
I have 2 theorys for this, since the Video diesent stuck when i play it on the IPad.
1. The IPhone is a bit to weak when connected to the HDTV
2. Its cause the Movie File is way smaller than the Movie on the DvD and thats just the suffering of quality as the result of making it smaller.

I recognized that switching the TV Signal in the IPod Options in the IPhone to NTSC makes it better.

Maybe its getting better witz the IPad, but all in all its a better result as i hoped for.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I wrote up a guide (using FormatFactory for Windows (free)) here:
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/3780-convert-your-videos-idiot-proof-windows.html

I think the biggest problem is people tend to over or underconvert with the resolution and bitrate. If your software supports a "use source" or "default" bitrate and resolution, then you should use that for 90% of the videos you get online. I mean, just use the same bitrate and resolution as the source video, EXCEPT if the resolution or bitrate is too high to play on the iPad. That way, if it looks good on the PC, it'll look better on the iPad!

OP
L

Lifet1me

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the biggest problem is people tend to over or underconvert with the resolution and bitrate.

Speaking about a to high bitrate.

Is it even possible to get a to high bitrate? I always thought the more bitrate the better.... or not?

Guess ill invest another 4 hours in testing a fewer bitrate. My converter does a hihghest bitrate of 2500kb/s, default was 1500kb/s.
1000kb/s is marked as very high in the programm.

EDIT: Forget what i said about, i just switched a few options of my TV, now the stuckings are nearly gone, fair enough.

Last edited:

Checkpoint

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, I've been using Format Factory to convert my movies so they can play on my iPad and I've been setting all of the resolutions for the converted movies to be 1024x768 since I want them to be fullscreen on the iPad... will that be okay to play on the iPad or will it be to big of a resolution or what?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
OP
L

Lifet1me

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok now, this is Strange. Since i got e Ipad 3 days now i just tried my converted Movies over AV Cable on TV.

I testet it already with the AV Cable and the IPhone which Works well on the TV, NOW i used the Same Video-File, synced it to the IPad and tried it on the TV.

Result: The Screen is stretched and Way to Dark.

WHat the heck...its the Same File!

I just convert in other Resolution now, since i tried to fix everything in the TV options without any success...

EDIT: Guess im moving in the total wrong direction, since the Movies are well on the IPad itself i bet the IPad just get funket up with the AV Cable.

Cause Handbrake converts the Movies in the original Resolution, and those too are stretched and a bit over the screen too

Well im at the end of everything, changing Option in the IPad Video-Menu or in the TV Menu doesent Change the screen in any Way, so i guess im going to sell the AV Cable again and wait for a special IPad one...

EDIT2: Found the problem with the Screensize, it was an option in the TV Stettings.

But the Movies are still shown darker than normal, i fixed it by myself now in turning Brightness, Color and Contrast higher.

still wondering why the Movies are dark with the IPad and not with the IPhone.
Whatever im through this finally.

Last edited by a moderator:

RMSko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been using Aiseesoft and it's a pretty good conversion program. What I'm trying to accomplish is the best picture on both the iPad and then on my HDTV via Apple TV. They have 3 iPad presets - MPEG4, h.264 and h.264 720p. The first two looked good on the iPad, but the bars were just too big. The third option looked fantastic on the iPad, but it was a box on my HDTV, i.e., there were bars on the top, bottom and sides. I then tried an Apple TV preset of 1280x720 and that looks great on both the iPad and the HDTV. The problem of course is it's a much bigger file and takes twice as long to convert. The picture does look much better though than the iPad presets. What I'm wondering is why a standard def DVD would look better at 1280x720. Does anyone else have this program and are there any other options anyone can think of.

brodhawg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Problem Converting Movies

I have problem in converting movie into mp4 :ipad-movie:..

I'm using AVC (Any video converter) and i cannot sync the audio into the video.. I've tried it so many times and failed again and again. i think the problem is in the setting of the converter but I dont know how..PLEASE help me..I need a professional advise :)..thank you

I also want to ask for better set up of video for ipad..i want to watch in whole screen not just half of it..thank you so much..really appreciate if you get back to me..

Most reactions

Latest posts