What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Converting a JPEG photo to a PDF image

larrycruzen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I read that converting a JPEG photo file to a PDF file creates a vector image which can be scaled without becoming pixelated. I tried this with a low-res photo and it became just as pixelated is the original.

Since I read this on the Internet, I know it has to be true. What am I missing?

Larry Cruzen

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I read that converting a JPEG photo file to a PDF file creates a vector image which can be scaled without becoming pixelated. I tried this with a low-res photo and it became just as pixelated is the original.

Since I read this on the Internet, I know it has to be true. What am I missing?

Larry Cruzen
I've worked in graphic design for over a decade and just don't see how it's possible to do what you've stated. JPEG is a lossy format, converting it to a vector file is going to produce pixelation on scaling.. it's unavoidable due to starting with a JPEG file. If you want to scale without pixelation you'll have to start with a vector image instead of a JPEG. This is one of the reasons I steer clear of the JPEG standard.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's simply not true. When you convert a JPG to PDF, all you are doing is packaging the JPG image in a PDF wrapper.

There is no reason to do this unless you are including a combination of images and text, or you want to annotate the image. Otherwise it just adds bulk to an already standard formatted image.

It's not possible to take a bitmapped image and convert it to a vector image without some kind of conversion app. It rarely works on anything but simple images, and not very well then.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, I read it on the Internet. They couldn't put something on there that wasn't true, could they?...........grins!

LOL! Larry - I'm a big fan of Snopes - wife goes there all the time to counteract what she reads on her FB page (seems to be a common site for these false stories) - the one below gave me a chuckle (now one of the top 25 on the website) - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2015-12-03 at 10.34.15 AM.png

Most reactions